Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Operating System

Android Oreo (8.0.0)

My Question or Issue

Here's how to replicate my issue:

1. Get a song playing. Make sure the screen is showing cover art w/ control buttons underneath. (Screenshot 1)Song is near completion, I turn off my screen before it finishesSong is near completion, I turn off my screen before it finishes
  2. Turn off screen or have it turn off by itself.
  3. Let song finish playing and the next one start.
  4. Make sure screen has been off for at least ~10 seconds in total, maybe a tad more. (If process happens to quick, bug may not happen)
  5. Turn on screen. Notice lack of cover art (Screenshot 2)Next song is playing (Just turned on screen)Next song is playing (Just turned on screen)

Here's a list of things I've done

1. Restarting phone
  2. Reinstalling Spotify
  3. Could NOT replicate bug on another phone I had (SGS5)
  4. Skipping a few songs forward and then back redraws album cover art, but that is not a solution.
  5. Going back to playlist and then forward to show song controls redraws cover art fine.

NOTE: Sometimes this bug seems to happen in other circumstances, sometimes these steps don't reproduce it. I'm just describing the most common, easiest to reproduce case that I've noticed.

I've honestly dealt with this bug for over a year now. It took a friend to convince me to let Spotify know about this.

11 Replies

Hey @RarityBelle, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

Please try to sign in with another accoun on your device and try to replicate the issue you are having with this account.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

I have the same issue. If I go to the app by the notification player, sometimes the cover art will be empty. When I tap on the go back key and then on the now playing bar, the cover comes back.

What am I supposed to do, make a new account to test? No one in my friend circle uses Spotify. I don't like creating accounts if I can avoid it. I thought signing onto a DIFFERENT device was a good enough to see if is hardware, software, or account related. (A reminder, I was UNABLE to replicate this bug on a Samsung Galaxy S5. Android version 6.0.1-Marshmallow) Also, someone responded saying that they have this same issue. I would think that covers the issue of it being related to my account.

More: I verified that both devices are using the exact same version of Spotify, 8.4.63.584 armV7. While trying to reproduce this bug on my older phone, a similar bug happened (By which I mean that the album cover art is missing or wrong). Instead of showing no album cover art, it was showing the previous album cover art for the current song playing. Skipping back and forth a couple times refreshed it. I was not able to reproduce this bug, so take it for what it's worth. This has happened to me a couple of times in the past year, but it's much more infrequent and apparently much harder to reproduce.

Incorrect album cover artIncorrect album cover art

Correct album cover artCorrect album cover art

Hey @RarityBelle,

Thank you very much for the info!

I made sure to pass this to the right folks at Spotify 🙂

Their team is looking into this right now.

Have a nice a day 🙂

Thanks. I hope they can find out what the problem is.

Hey @RarityBelle @brkblkbasi,

Hope you are doing great!

Could you please:

• Check to see if Android Oreo needs an update (it might be above 8.0.0 at this point)
  • Check if this happens on all music that gets played (is it just on playlists / Autoplay / Local Files?)
  • Perhaps get a video of this playing.

Thanks!

Note: Phone is up to date according to T-Mobile website.

Note: I have "All Songs" downloaded on my phone, so any artist, album or most playlists are going to be cached on my phone as well.

Conditions to make bug happen

• "All Songs" (cached)
  • Albums (tested with cached and non-cached songs/artists)
  • Artists (tested with cached and non-cached songs/artists)
  • Playlists (tested with cached and non-cached songs/artists)
  • Random search results and selecting first result
  • Letting song finish and another begin naturally
  • Skipping song forward with bluetooth headphones/speaker/car
  • Skipping song forward with another phone/laptop that has Spotify controls up

Sometimes the album cover art will appear just fine, but I've had a really hard time duplicating that. It seems to happen more often if I don't let the screen stay turned off long enough. But most of the time, (and of course while I'm paying attention) the album cover art is missing when the next song plays. I don't have any local songs to play. I've attatched a video demonstrating what happens when Spotify plays the next song while the screen is turned off. You can replace "letting the next song play" with any of those other methods of skipping manually and you'll get the same result. EXCEPT skipping backwards functions perfectly fine. Even if you skip like multiple songs backwards.

So, happens in all circumstances where the next song forward plays while the screen is turned off.

(Video too big to upload. So here's a link to my video on YouTube.)

https://youtu.be/ouR6S2wtioo

UPDATE: Spotify works just fine in landscape mode. Album cover art is not blank when I turn on the screen. (Slowly narrowing down as to what is going on I hope)

UPDATE2: So I did a factory reset on my phone, (due to an unrelated issue) and was dissapointed that nothing changed for Spotify. So, resetting phone did not do the trick.

Hey guys! 

I'm moving this into Need More Info for now. We'll need to collect the info we asked for earlier in the thread from a few more users to see if we can get this reported to the right folks. 

Be sure to add your vote to this thread if you're having a similar issue and none of the troubleshooting mentioned so far has worked. 

Thanks 🙂

Hey everyone,

We've moved this back to the Help boards since we haven't heard anything back in a while. 

Let us know if the issue persists in the meanwhile and we'll be happy to troubleshoot this further.

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts