Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Spotify stops playlist when it runs into local file while playing via Chromecast

Android Spotify stops playlist when it runs into local file while playing via Chromecast

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Google Pixel 5

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

I have some playlists that are a mix of local files and non-local files. The local files are on my PC. My Android phone has the playlist downloaded. If I play the playlist on my phone, local and non-local files play fine as expected. If I play the playlist from my phone and Chromecast it to a Google home speaker, then when the playlist reaches a local file I would expect it to just skip it (as I have read in many places this does not work). That sucks but is ok. But what actually happens is the Spotify app just gets stuck when the playlist reaches a local file. The app becomes unresponsive, none of the buttons work. The time count for the song just keeps going up way past the length of the song. No sound comes out and the only thing you can do is kill the app.

5 Replies

Hi there @kingbob939,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Local files cannot be streamed over Chromecast, however the player shouldn't just stop all together. In this situation we recommend you do a clean reinstall of the app, following the exact steps from this guide and making sure you delete all app cache, as described.

You can also try factory resetting your Google Home device and assuring it's running the latest firmware update.

Let us know if that helped.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply 🙂

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

FYI I factory reset my Google Home devices and reinstalled Spotify as outlined. I still have this issue.

Hey @kingbob939,

Thanks for getting back in touch and for trying our suggestions.

If possible, could you try syncing your local files with a different mobile device and try to play your playlists from it to your Google Home speaker? We'd like to know if the issue persists in another device.

It's also a good idea to log out > restart your device > restart your router and speaker > log back in.

We'd also like to know the Spotify version you're running.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

"If possible, could you try syncing your local files with a different mobile device and try to play your playlists from it to your Google Home speaker?"

I don't quite understand this suggestion. The local files are not syncing to my mobile device in the first place. They are on my computer and are in the playlist, but they are not on my mobile device.

Restarting router did not help.

Spotify version is 8.5.89.901.

Hey @kingbob939

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

In this case, we recommend trying with a different network, for example creating a hot spot on your phone and using that - if that's possible.

On another note, could you let us know if the issue persists if you activate Offline mode on your PC and try listening your local files this way?

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts