Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App deletes downloads everytime SD unmounts

App deletes downloads everytime SD unmounts

My Android device (Moto G3) randomly unmounts the SD card - which I can live with since I just have to re-mount it.

The problem is that Spotify gets all crazy: it auto-selects internal storage as download location and doesn't change back even when the SD card is mounted back. And then when I manually change the setting I find that the 3.5GB downloads I kept there are gone. I've redownloaded all my music 3 times this last week.

Today it showed me a message saying I've exceeded my 3 device limit for downloads and so it would DELETE EVERYTHING FROM THIS DEVICE (!!!) - but I only use this one device!

I would suggest that the app at least kept a backup of a lost of downloads so that I can automatically redownload all at once in case of a problem, but even then, I think we shouldn't have to deal with this autodelete nonsense.

Anyone has an idea for a solution?
6 Replies

Hi. When the SD card unmounts, a new spotify cache is created in internal storage unfortunately and, to make things worse, remounting the SD card makes spotify treat your phone as a new device. Currently, the only advice I can offer is to leave the cache in internal storage. Hopefully Spotify will come up with a software solution as this affects many users.

Hi Joe. Thanks for the reply.
That is really unfortunate... I can't keep cache on internal storage, which in my phone is really small.

We carry on hoping...

Is this a common problem with the G3 or is it worth trying another SD card? I had the same issue with my S7 but it went away when I bought a new card.

I don't know, Joe; searching about it returns very little results, so it's possible that it's my combination of phone and SD card.
Funny thing is that my wife has the Moto G3 Turbo and a different SD card (size and brand) and the same thing happens.

16GB cards are really cheap so may be worth trying one. If it solves the problem, you can decide if its worth investing in larger cards or not 🙂

(sorry, I replied with my wife's account there)

Yeah, I'll try that! Thanks a lot for the chat!

Suggested posts