Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App keeps crashing and resets entire phone (Sony Xperia XA2)

App keeps crashing and resets entire phone (Sony Xperia XA2)

• Plan

Premium

Country

Ireland 

Device

Sony Xperia XA2

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Hi all. 

Every second or third time I open my Spotify app on my Sony Xperia it crashes and resets my phone. Very frustrating to say the least. 

I have done the full Clean Reinstall, as recommended in most posts. I have removed the app and reinstalled and restarted at least 3 or 4 times and the problem persists. I've cleared cache and data. 

I've also given all requested permissions to the app. 

As well as resetting the phone, I noticed that when I go into the app and start liking songs or following artists, the app will only remember the FIRST song liked or artist followed in a particular session, when I next open up the app.

These problems don't affect my laptop app version of Spotify at all. Playlists, artists followed, songs liked etc, all appear on my phone app if they've been created on my laptop. 

Thanks in advance. 

Ciarán 

4 Replies

Hey there @CiaranM,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to make sure, are you using an SD card? If so, we suggest that you remove it > restart your phone > perform a clean reinstall of the app following these steps.

If this doesn't do the trick, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your phone to see if the issue persists with a different account?

Lastly, could you let us know how much available storage space does your phone have?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for that @Eni.

Yes I have an SD card in my phone, but I don't use it in conjunction with Spotify. Sony Xperia phones only allow apps to be installed on the internal memory, you cannot install apps (Spotify or otherwise) on an external memory such as an SD. I don't have any music stored on the SD card either.

I will try using my wife's account too.

Regarding storage, my internal storage is:

25.95gb used out of 32gb (6.05gb free).

SD Card: 53gb out of 64gb used.

Hi there,

Logged in with my wife's account, problem persists. Her account runs fine on her own phone.

Did the full clean uninstall and reinstall, problem persists. 

Deleted lots of stuff off both internal and external memory. 7.5gb free on internal storage. 10gb free on SD.

Thanks. 

Hey there @CiaranM,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop here.

Sorry to hear the issue is still present. As you mention that the behavior persists even when using your wife's account, then we're lead to believe the issues might be connected with your device's particular setup. Could we ask you for the exact version of the Spotify app that's on your mobile currently? You can also check if there are pending firmware updates for your Sony Xperia XA2. If yes, then please run them asap, as this might make a difference and resolve the situation.

Also it's worthwhile to check if you have enabled any sort of battery/data optimization apps for your device and either to disable it, or to exclude Spotify from these apps' agendas, as this might be causing streaming and cache-relates issues as well.

Meanwhile, you can also go to the web player and try using it to see if there you'd be able to enjoy Spotify without interruptions.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts