Bluetooth speaker shutting off stops playback on another device

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Samsung Galaxy 9

Operating System

Windows 10 + Android (although i suspect any OS)

My Question or Issue

I listen to Spotify on Windows, connected to a bluetooth speaker while i work. At noon i go for a walk, turn on spotify on my phone, connect my bluetooth earbuds and tell spotify on my phone to use the phone for output. After a while, the speaker will shutoff automatically since it's not used, and Spotify will pause the music on my phone. Feels like Spotify is not filtering which device is turning off with regard to where the music is playing.
Basically i'm taking a walk and the music pauses out of the blue because of the speaker back home.

Steps to reproduce

1- Win10 Spotify client plays music on a bluetooth speaker

2- pause music on Win10 (leave spotify open, and speaker on)

3-Launch Spotify on Android phone, connected to bluetooth earplugs

4-Spotify on phone shows "playing on" computer, change that to "this phone"

5-Start music on phone

Result:

- After 30 mins, the bluetooth speaker auto-shuts-off. The Win10 Spotify client notices and pauses playback.
Expected Result:
Playback should not pause since I am not listening through the speaker that turned off (i'm listening through earbuds)

2 Replies

Hello there @Frosty99 

I see how playback stopping on the phone because of a speaker in another location could be an inconvenience.

But maybe there's a quick fix. 

After switching the output to your phone, you can shut down Spotify on Windows completely and this could prevent further problems. For good measure, you could also switch off the Bluetooth speaker manually so that it does not disrupt your listening later on.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Take care 😄

TaylithSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi,

yes this is a workaround but it's not a solution. If Spotify supports being "turned on" on many devices at once it should handle these usecases properly.

Thanks

Suggested posts