Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't select SD card for storage/No Storage option

Solved!

Can't select SD card for storage/No Storage option

I'm unsure if this is a recent update, or if I've had it for a while. But I've literally just noticed an issue with downloading songs. I'm on version 8.4.24.871 armv7

I can no longer save songs offline to my SD card, there are no options to even select a storage device. I've gone into the Android App settings, I've had to enable storage permissions for Spotify, to see if this was a fix, but I still have no option to choose where I want to save my music.

This is quite an issue now, because I use Spotify whilst travelling and I'm now using up to 2GB of my data to play music (probably explains why I had such high data usage this past month), and I have only 600MB space left on my S7 Edge.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Doesn't matter now, after sivving through some topics I found a link which fixed my problem; talk about a ball ache for such a simple thing.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Bump..

So Why is it no longer possible to save to external storage on the Android app?

Marked as solution

Doesn't matter now, after sivving through some topics I found a link which fixed my problem; talk about a ball ache for such a simple thing.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257

Got the same issue, worked fine in the last release but I was having issues with offline logins (asked to log in in offline mode which is rather hard), so followed Spotify's advise to clean my offline device list and re-sync the current one. This was a huge mistake as at that point the app decided to delete all of my offline content claiming that there's no more space on the offline devices list...

Anyways, long story short, I've done a clean install as all the data was already lost anyway. Now I can't pick my 64GB SD card for storage, Spotify has storage permissions, but the storage tab isn't available under Settings. The SD card still holds the old spotify data folder which I can't delete for some reason (even with spotify forced stopped). Of course other apps can see the SD card with no issues, this includes Tidal...

As a paying user this is absolutely ridiculous and I'm seriously considering cancelling my subscription yet again (I've done it a month ago but came back as Tidal was giving me a headache as well). I refuse to jump through hoops like formatting the card or re-installing the app with the card out, just to fix issues which shouldn't exist at all. If there's a problem with old installation content being left over on the SD and new installs not being happy with this, then make sure all SD content gets deleted when the **bleep** app is uninstalled!

T.

Update on the above: turns out it was the old Spotify folder on the SD card which making the newly reinstalled app to not want to play ball with the SD card. I've popped the SD card into my PC, deleted the spotify data folder and stuck it back in the phone. Voila, now Spotify shows Storage in the Settings and I can pick the SD card as an offline destination.

Why Spotify can't just delete all its folders after its uninstalled is beyond me. The old folder was around 5GB as it held all the offline music, even though the old app was telling me no offline content is available (that was after the re-syncing fiasco and the app telling me it will delete all offline content - turns out it never did, just stopped pointing to it).

T.

Glad you found a solution, I recently found out my issue just got worse. My SD card is now corrupt, and is in write-protect mode. So I can't use it at all now, which probably spans to why Spotify couldn't use external storage; just a shame nothing told me this in the first place.

Suggested posts