Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot Listen to Local Files on my Mobile

Solved!

Cannot Listen to Local Files on my Mobile

I will try to be as detailed as possible as this has been eluding me all day and I have gone through all of the help material I can find.

I have a Motorola Triumph from Android Gingerbread with Spotify Premium.  I also have Windows 7 with Spotify downloaded.  I have no problems playing musing on desktop.  On my mobile device I can easily play streaming files on my wifi or on my 3gnetwork. But I cannot seem to sync and play local files to my mobile from my desktop.

I have 5 playlists set up in Spotify in windows, there all have "Available Offline" turned on, and a green circle with a down arrow next the the playlists I want to sync.(This includes the "Starred" playlist)

On the mobile I have checked all of the playlists I want available online and selected done.  After about an hour it went through each of the sync, I sah the numbers 1 of 432, 2 of 432, etc. until it completed.  However whenever I try to play files that where local files Spotify just shuts down, no matter which song I try and play on any playlist.  it DOES however work perfectly for any "starred" songs that are not local songs.  Those are available for instant offline play without issue.

So I need to know how can I get this to stop, I want to use Spotify on my mobile as my primary, and preferably only, music playing app.  I have a large collection of MP3s I've colected over the year which spotify has recognized but I want synced and transfered to my Mobile's SD card so I can play them offline and on the go.

Any help I can get wouldbe greatly appreciated.

29 Replies

Spotify...are you listening. This has been too long. It is time to update the APP and get mobile sorted.

Yeah, if it worked like the desktop version (plays your files when they're on your device and plays their files when they're absent from your device), I would be entering my credit card info right now to get their service.  But without the ability to play local files on my phone, it's pretty much useless to me.  My schedule is too busy to research who allows you to do that presently, but in a week or so, I'll be looking into that.  Whoever can give me that service will get my money.

Got the same issue. So annoyed by this, that im about to say bye bye to premium.

Same problem here~ on a Samsung Galaxy S3... cancelling my premium for now =/

I'd like to escalate this issue internally.

Can you please reply with your Spotify desktop version, your Spotify mobile version and your specific Android Operating system?

Community Ergo Sum

I'm not really sure you understand what we are saying though. Why cant we have the local playlist like before? Why the need to sync? Why not have all the local files show up in its own playlist like they did before? Why do you downgrade the app? I dont get it.

Spotify do know what the problem is from emails I have had from them. They do know that their app WILL NOT play local files you already have on your mobile within spotify (as the older version used to)...for me that is a lot of files. However they choose to do nothing about it. I do not have the time to re-load all my files on my phone back to desktop and then sync. This also does not solve the problem if I download mp3 files direct to my phone outside spotify. Basically, spotify seem to have lost the concept of how central mobile phones are. I use their desktop less and less....looks like I will be using them on the phone less. Competitors, time to move in.

They also have not solved the issue of shuffling all tracks unless you star them or make a gigantic playlist.

Come on spotify get it together

@perbonomi wrote:

Can you please reply with your Spotify desktop version, your Spotify mobile version and your specific Android Operating system?

Spotify desktop version: 0.8.4.107.g4fa0003f (freshly installed on Windows 7 64-bit 30 minutes ago)

Spotify Android version: 0.5.1.15.g81977995 (freshly installed from Google Play Store 30 minutes ago)

Android versions: 2.3.7 Gingerbread on HTC G2 (stock android phone that had no carrier customizations) and 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Nexus S (phone that runs stock android with no customizations at all by nature).

I uninstalled, wiped data, and reinstalled the mobile apps and the desktop program yesterday and tonight and the results are the same, the devices never appear in "Devices."

@perbonomi wrote:

I was able to get it working with a Windows XP machine running the same version, after making my playlists available offline on the desktop, and wiping/reinstalling the android app (again...), then toggling offline mode on and off until it appeared under devices. It stayed long enough to sync a few dozen songs before disappearing again. I've been able to do this enough times to get the local files sync'd, and now I'll download the rest directly over wifi. 

Playing local files that are already on your Android device:
This functionality seems to have been removed by design and we currently don't have plans to bring it back.
Not finding your device in your desktop client:
I've escalated this internally, but please also go to this topic to add your information.
Since this topic was created to report the inability to listen to local files and I've answered that question, I'll be closing this now.
If you have a different issue, please use search to find an existing topic you can join, or start a new topic specific to your issue.

Community Ergo Sum

Suggested posts