Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Class action Lawsuit against Spotify - this app has been broken for FAR TOO LONG!

Solved!

Class action Lawsuit against Spotify - this app has been broken for FAR TOO LONG!

Who would be down to join in on this... Us Premium members pay $10 a month to be able to use this software on our mobile devices.  (and technically for Unlimited listening)

Not only has  Spotify given free users Unlimited listening after charging paying members for the same service for almost a year now, but the mobile app is broken.  You can't star, or update any of the music/playlists on your device without a crash.  This has been repeated ENDLESSLY in the support forums with NO ANSWER from either the app developers, nor SOMEONE in charge... This is a major piece of the product, and our calls and pleads go unanswered.  Apps go un-updated, and frankly, I think I speak for the lot of us when I say WE'RE PISSED.

Man up, Spotify...  We're not gonna take this much longer. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I am joining. Wonder why Spotify don't answer anything on their own support site? I am paying for a product that I don't receiv
e. Are Spotify about to crash financially, and don't care, and just the last money from their customers?

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Marked as solution

I am joining. Wonder why Spotify don't answer anything on their own support site? I am paying for a product that I don't receiv
e. Are Spotify about to crash financially, and don't care, and just the last money from their customers?

We posted an update regarding the development of the Android app here a few weeks ago.  

I'd like to try to help with this playlist/starred tracks issue you're experiencing.  

Which Android device and software version are you using? 

@monsieurtalbot wrote:

Not only has  Spotify given free users Unlimited listening after charging paying members for the same service for almost a year now, but the mobile app is broken.

Man up, Spotify...  We're not gonna take this much longer. 

Your post begs the question: if you're so unhappy with the service, why do you continue to pay for it?

If you don't see any additional value in a Premium subscription, due to the extension on Free unlimited listening and a non-functional mobile app, why are you still voluntarily paying an extra $10/mo for no additional service? Why not switch to a Free account until you hear it's fixed, then resubscribe?

I'm not making excuses for the state of the Android app (or the iPhone app, for that matter), nor am I any kind of lawyer. But from a purely logical perspective, if I was a judge and you walked into my courtroom demanding compensation for a service that you continue to throw money at, despite already knowing that it's non-functional (as far as you're concerned), I'd laugh you out of the door.

"I bought this blue shirt and it wasn't pink! Then I went back the next month and bought another blue shirt and it STILL wasn't pink! I demand compensation!"

It's not like you don't know what you're getting into, at this point. If Premium isn't working for you, quit paying.

I disagree with your analogy . 1st., people created playlists and put a lot of time and effort into this with the hope of being able to play it on your portable device. I am paying $10 a month to be able to do that and spotify makes this happen. I am more then happy to continue paying $10 for just that. That said, Spotify claims to be able to add these additional features and while I am not paying $10 per month to have these features, these features are there. Every now and then I am driving or am at the gym ect and listen to a cool song and feel like adding it to my list but when i do so the entire system crashes. Yes i know it was my choice to add the song but every now and then i forget that it crashes the system. I would be happier if the option wouldn't exist rather then crashing the app. 

Coming back to your example. Its like going to a store where they advertise there is a pink shirt in the box but when you get home and open the box the shirt is blue and not pink. This is false advertisement. 

@monsieurtalbot wrote:

Not only has  Spotify given free users Unlimited listening after charging paying members for the same service for almost a year now

Unlimited ad-supported listening.  Removing the ads is one of the main benefits of paying for an account.  Free users are not getting the same experience as paying listeners, regardless of the lack of time limits.

@tommyinnyc wrote:

I disagree with your analogy ...

...  Its like going to a store where they advertise there is a pink shirt in the box but when you get home and open the box the shirt is blue and not pink. This is false advertisement. 

Ok, fair enough -- the first time. But once you know they always package blue shirts labelled as pink, you'd think you would quit buying the shirts labelled as pink, yes?

i hear you. But what if you go to the store for a different reason adn you are happy with the different reason and the box with the shirt is just a free give away. Everytime you leave you get the give away with claiming one color is in the box while another is actualy in there. You complain every time that there is the wrong color and while they listen to your complains they keep on giving you the wrong one. At one point you will get frustated and scream stop giving me the wrong color or fix it. That said, i agree, this is not enough for a class action lawsuit and that is just a stupid idea, unless someone can prove they are paying the $10 (or any portion of it) just because of this free t-shirt advertisement. 

Just checking back in to see if you found the version of Android you're running along with the phone model.  

I am running HTC sensation by T-Mobile. Android 2.3.4

Mine crashes when i listen to a song and hit the i button for info and add to playlist. When adding to playlist app crashes when the screen gets into lock mode. 

Rorey,

I got a new Motorola Atrix. I had the Spotify App on my old phone. New phone, same OS... the App crashes after launch every time. It has not loaded once. I have uninstalled and redownloaded multiple times. This is the ONLY reason I pay for the app. Please point me to some help before I have to cancel the service.

Thank you.

I have the Galaxy Nexus.

Android 4.0.2 stock.

Problem:

Sometimes it crashes without an warning. Synced files wont stay.

And I have NO problems being an beta tester for the coming Android version

I am disgusted by your attitude.  Are you officially representing Spotify?  As a communication professional you are failing.  So basically you are saying "Why are you paying for my services when its jacked up and I have no plans of fixing it right now nor do I care about how you feel about it".  I have been using Spotify now for a while and been patiently waiting for this to be fixed.  I have a Motorola Xoom tablet.  I've had this issue on Froyo, Honeycomb and ICS.  I am done patiently waiting.  Even when I picked up my iPhone 4S last year and iTunes Match came out I stayed a customer.  Why should I be punished for being loyal and staying until you fix the problem?  It basically sounds like you are calling us idiots for being loyal and staying as a paid customer.  I mean isn't customer retention a vital part of every business?  Don't you want repeat customers?  I just don't understand why its hard for Spotify to have the developers fix the problem with an update.  I mean I have tons of apps that have updates WEEKLY, and some of them are free apps to boot.  I am serious at the point to find another source and NOT even bother coming back if and when this problem is resolved.  It just seems Spotify is just caulis with their attitude about the situation.  Not apologetic at all, if it was a free service then thats one thing.  But we are paying customers and would appreciate some feedback, resolution, something!

@ArcaneEdge wrote:

I am disgusted by your attitude.  Are you officially representing Spotify? 

I'm guessing you're addressing me, so I ought to clarify:  No. I'm not representing Spotify.

I'm not an employee, I'm not a spokesperson, I'm not a support agent, I'm not a forum community manager. I'm a regular subscriber like you. Just so it's clear and not reflecting poorly on Spotify's customer support.

FWIW, I'm pretty disappointed with the Android app too. (Although it's been behaving for almost 3 weeks now *knocks on wood*) So I'm not making excuses for the state of it, or for the lack of direct communication from the Android team themselves, sending Rorey et al. to take the flak for them instead.

However, regardless of topic, I find it hilarious when people threaten to sue someone else for avoidable self-inflicted damages, and I enjoy calling it out for what it is.

"Dear Sir, I bought your 12" Chef's Knife approximately 6 months ago. Due to an obvious manufacturing defect in the blade mounting, I suffered injury to the tip of my pinky finger on first use while chopping onions. Of course I still need to eat onions. So, after 6 months of voluntarily continuing to use your defective product, I have suffered a severed tendon in my right thumb and lost 3 fingers on my left hand. And for those extensive losses I intend to SUE YOU, SIR."

Well if that's the case then yes you can have your own opinion.  I really thought you were LOL.  And I wasn't co-signing on the lawsuite.  That is a bit extreme and don't necessarily agree with it but to each it's own.

Spotify on my phone crashes alot and also, once i quit spotify; it still runs in the background and makes my phone very hot draining my phone battery to 0%. even if i force close the app, it still running in the background and kills the battery. I have to manually restart my phone everytime i listen from my phone, online and offline, streaming and downloaded music. ive tried uninstalling, and reinstalling to see if they works... but no go. this is getting a bit.... absurd,

samsung galaxy indulge SCH: R910

Android OS: 2.2.1

Hey guys,

Just to let you know, a Preview version of the new Android app is now available at http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Hopefully it will help fix any issues you're having with the app. Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Suggested posts