Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Definite solution for storage issues on Marshmallow 6.0.1 [NO ROOT REQUIRED]

Definite solution for storage issues on Marshmallow 6.0.1 [NO ROOT REQUIRED]

After finding out that spotify does not work well with adoptable storage, and it requires an external SD set up as portable in order to save downloaded songs externally. I was looking for a way i could have them both into my phone by partitioning the SD card. Most of us had done this before using apps like Link2SD, etc. Usually they require root, but here everything you will need is USB Debugging Active and ADB command line tools.

Since ADB is Android Developers stuff, you may need to install the appropriate drivers for your phone to succeed, even tho the process is quite simple.

Once you're all set up, (Drivers, ADB, USB Debug enabled) youre ready to start.

NOTE: YOUR SD CARD WILL BE FORMATTED IN THE PROCESS, BE SURE YOU'VE BACKED UP EVERYTHING.

Step 1: find out your disk's name.

adb shell sm list-disks adoptable
disk:179_96

here in my case, the disk is 179_96, yours can display a collon or a comma instead of an underscore, you will refer to it as it is displayed at your terminal.

Step 2: partitioning your SD into adopted and portable partitions.

adb shell sm partition disk:179_96 mixed 20

that 50 is the ratio of the partitions im creating, this means i'm into 20% private (adopted) and 80% public (portable)

if you receive a "500 21 Unknown Disk" error. check for any typos at your code, check if youre using the proper divider for the diskname (underscore, comma, collon) and if you have "disk:" properly inserter immediately before the number.

This will immediately split your SD card into one adopted and one portable partition, so you can still install stuff into the adopted and use the portable for apps that has "save on external" features, just like Spotify.

This is how mine looks like after a 50 mixed partition

14101887_10210659278106669_166767959_n.jpg
2 Replies

Hi,

Thank you very much for this.

I followed your instructions using "adb shell sm partition disk:179_64 mixed 50" (to split in half my 128GB MicroSD).

It went without errors, it took less than a minute. But now I have three 'partitions', being that one is not recognized. If I select and confirm to 'forget' this MicroSD partition, the others two are lost and I had to reconfigure the card as adoptable and use adb another time.

Screenshot_20161208-004250.png

Could you help me to delete this entry from Storage?

Thanks!

thanks a lot! 

i did exactley the same as you did, but my music is still only downloading to my internal memory, and when entering the spotify app it says that my internal memory is still 10.9 GB, beaing that when enetering the storage configuarion it says that now i have 40GB.

my question is, will the music eventually start downloading to the sd card that i converted to private?

Again,

Thanks a lot, il be waiting for your answer

Suggested posts