Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable mobile notifications while listening on desktop?

Disable mobile notifications while listening on desktop?

Hi guys. Not sure if this is an odd anomaly or if anyone else has noticed it, too. I work from home and have Spotify constantly playing on my desktop. But randomly, my phone will light up and tell me what I'm playing. I can skip/pause/etc from the mobile lockscreen but if I pause and hit play from the mobile, the music shifts to the mobile and away from the desktop. While I'm at my desktop I obviously don't need this and it's wasting my phone's charge as the screen lights up every 5-10 seconds to remind me that Spotify is playing. The Spotify app on mobile isn't running in the background.

I considered blocking notifications from the app on mobile, but obviously I still want them when I am using my mobile for Spotify.

Is there any way to make my phone stop showing notifications while I'm playing on desktop, but still show them while I'm using the mobile app?

3 Replies

This could be because you have a connected device. You can find this out by clicking the icon shown at the bottom right of the player. You can then use your phone as a remote for the music playing via the desktop app. Pretty cool feature if you're moving around the house.

If you don't want this to appear at all on your phone, then just make sure that the Spotify app is closed and not open in the background. If you want to use it, open the app on your phone whilst your desktop app is playing and it'll show again.

More information can be found here - https://www.spotify.com/uk/connect/

Thanks for the info, Shepnic. I understand the idea behind it and, yes, the devices are both on the same wifi and connected to a premium account. Opening the app on my phone shows that it is "Listening on" my desktop.

But closing the app and killing the background process doesn't seem to stop my phone from notifying me, for some reason.

This is a constant battle I am having between my phone (galaxy note 20 ultra) and desktop spotify applications. Even when I close the app in my recents, and even go as far as to stop the process completely within app settings, spotify never seems to actually close completely. After a few minutes I will be getting the same spotify notification on my lock screen and in my notification bar showing what I am listening to on my desktop. It would not be such a big deal but when attempting to control the volume on my phone, spotify hijacks the functionality and wants to control the volume of spotify playing on my desktop. It is incredibly annoying, have been dealing with it for the better part of a year now, and there seems to be no fix in sight. 

Suggested posts