Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Filtered playlists don't stay filtered if playing randomized

Filtered playlists don't stay filtered if playing randomized

Device

Pixel XL (but I think this happened with my last phone too, a Nexus)

Operating System

Android Oreo

Spotify v8.4.62 (the most recent available, afaik -- and honestly, I don't think this was a problem with older versions... I've been using Spotify on Android for ~5+ years and only recently, the last year or so, has this been a problem for me.)

My Question or Issue

Hi,

This has been driving me up a wall for a while now, and I finally figured out how to report it.

So imagine I want to do the following:

- take a playlist (say, "Starred")

- filter down to an artist in the playlist because I want to hear *only the songs of that artist that I've added to the playlist in the past*

- start listening to that filtered playlist on random

This works great on desktop. But it doesn't work *at all* on my phone -- why not? If I filter say, "Spoon" on my Starred playlist and press random, the first song will be Spoon, but the next will be *anything* from the Starred playlist -- not just artists or songs with the word "spoon" in them either.

This is obviously least than ideal when I'm sitting down wanting to listen to a lot of Spoon. My choice at this point is either to 1) listen in order, which isn't great if I've saved full albums and want to mix it up, or 2) go to Spoon's artist page and listen "at random", which isn't great either -- there's a reason I add only some of their songs to the Starred list.

Overall, it just feels buggy -- when I look at my phone it's still just *showing* Spoon songs, but it's playing all sorts of other stuff. Where's it finding this music?? And it's confusing because it differs from the desktop behavior too.

I (and I'm sure others) would love if you could please fix this. Thanks!

**Also, another piece of feedback -- maybe you should make it easier for users to report issues? I imagine you're not hearing about many you might otherwise; it took me quite a while to figure out how to report this, and this problem has been bugging me for *at least* a year -- I finally got fed up with it and put in the effort to report it.

1 Reply

Hey @thisrunson, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We'll definitely be able to help.

Does the issue persist if you log into a different account? Also, if you haven't already tried it, try a clean reinstall to see if it helps.

We'll take the other feedback you mentioned into consideration. For now, feel free to report issues on the Community. We're always here to help out.

Let us know how it goes with the steps we mentioned earlier.

Suggested posts