Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Now doesn't play Spotify music

Solved!

Google Now doesn't play Spotify music

Hey, so this is the problem. I know I'm suppose do be able to say "okay Google, play [song] by [artist] on Spotify" and it would automatically start playing the song. However, in these past few weeks, I am unable to do so.
I have Samsung galaxy s7, unrooted, and when I say for example "okay Google, play 3005 by Childish Gambino on spotify", Google would say something like "playing music" then proceed to open Spotify. However, it ends there. It doesn't play the song, it doesn't search for the name, nothing. Please help.
65 Replies

Hi all! I had the same problem and this was fixed after updating the Google app. My version is 7.15.22.21

Everything is working as expected

The problem is happening for me just recently now, on version 8.4.37.587

Why do I get the impression that this breaks and is fixed, over and over in releases? It's really annoying because I only use Spotify when driving and I rely on it being able to play a song request by voice command. 

Issue: Google Assistant will open Spotify but will not control Spotify in any way.  It will work correctly if you FORCE close Spotify in App Settings but will revert to not working correctly as soon as you close the Spotify App.

I had a 2 hour chat via Text with a Spotify CSR and it was infuriating as I was being told things like 'it will not work unless you have Google Home device' and 'It will not work on Mobile Data (4G)', crazy.  Finally got a ticket number and that it would be escalalted but we can now be very sure this issue will be reported a lot, if we can stay on chat long enough with the rep that is.......

We await a fix.

You are right! Its constantly is fixed and then broken again **bleep**

Just got 8.4.38.621 release pushed to my phone the other day and it is still broken in this release

Annoying... I've noticed the same pattern. Every other update it breaks. 

Try this command "press play on spotify" seems to do the trick. 

Suggested posts