Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I disable casting to nearby devices?

How can I disable casting to nearby devices?

When I'm listening to Spotify (and even when I'm not), I get a notice in my phone's status that says "Casting to <device name>". There's a pause button and a mute button. The pause button (rather than play) makes it appear that I'm currently casting to this other device, and I definitely don't want to cast to someone else's device. I've looked everywhere in the app and can find nothing that would disable the automatic casting. If I click the pause button, it changes to a play button (making it seem that I've disabled it), but next time I open my notifications, the pause button is back! It's ridiculous that casting to another device without my permission would be the default behavior. If I can't disable it, I'll probably cancel my premium subscription...

6 Replies

I believe that the "casting" is from your phone, not Spotify. Just to clarify: does this happen even when not listening to Spotify? 

I also have Pandora on my phone and it doesn't automatically cast, but simply has a casting icon I could click if I wanted to... The Spotify notice makes it appear that it's already casting (though the mute icon makes it appear to be muted).

Hi. I don't have an answer to the issue but a similar problem. With the whole new chrome google cast stuff devices appear in my list on my phone and tablet that I do not want to be connected to. Everyone in my building is using the same Wi-Fi network. I would like to turn off the function in Spotify until Google has fixed their mess. Is that possible?

Exactly. I mean, I'm all for making it easy to share when you want to, but it shouldn't be the default. Nowadays, the density of connected devices in a commercial building is such that giving everyone the ability to cast to everything in range is a recipe for chaos, not to mention an assault on the right to privacy...

Lately I've been getting this message (see below). This seems to happpn when I am connected to any wifi. At work, the mall, at a friends, or at home. Its not often but it is frequent. It shouldnt just be autocasting but theres no disable button that I can see.
Screenshot_2017-04-29-22-11-54.png

hey buddy, 

Go to Settings > application manager > click on the 3 vertical points in the top right side on the screen and select "show system apps" > then go to Nearby Devices app > Notifications > turn off Previews in pop-ups, go to Nearby Service app > Notifications > turn off Previews in pop-ups. 

my phone is a Samsung Galaxy A5. bye.

Suggested posts