Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to let Spotify use the memory card of my Android phone?

Solved!

How to let Spotify use the memory card of my Android phone?

Has anybody an idea.

Thanks a lot,

Marko

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

In order for Spotify to use the SD card for storage of offline playlists, you will need to manually specify which folder you want it to use. Please keep in mind that your offline playlists will need to be re-synced after doing this:

1. Open Spotify in your mobile
2. Go to “More”, “Settings” and select “Clear saved data”
3. Press More and then Log Out
4. While at the login screen, press the hardware Menu key and select SD Location
5. Enter the path to a folder on the SD card
6. Finding the exact path to your SD card can be done with a file manager, and can differ between phones.
On the Samsung Galaxy S, for example, you should use: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

Spotify will then store tracks in this folder:/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Android/Data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui
Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

In order for Spotify to use the SD card for storage of offline playlists, you will need to manually specify which folder you want it to use. Please keep in mind that your offline playlists will need to be re-synced after doing this:

1. Open Spotify in your mobile
2. Go to “More”, “Settings” and select “Clear saved data”
3. Press More and then Log Out
4. While at the login screen, press the hardware Menu key and select SD Location
5. Enter the path to a folder on the SD card
6. Finding the exact path to your SD card can be done with a file manager, and can differ between phones.
On the Samsung Galaxy S, for example, you should use: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

Spotify will then store tracks in this folder:/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Android/Data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui
Airhorn Enthusiast

But the thing is that Spotify supposebly have problems with sertain MicroSDHC 32GB cards. Is this true?

The solution described does not apply to the latest Spotify for Android (e.g. 0.5.1.15).

@Giacecco wrote:

The solution described does not apply to the latest Spotify for Android (e.g. 0.5.1.15).

I second that.  There is no option pressing the hardware Menu button in this version 0.5.2.87 either.  What is the solution?

The latest versions of the Android Spotify client don't include the option to change your storage location.

Community Ergo Sum

Indeed why not? I don't have enough memory on my phones internal memory. Music is sole reason I have 16 gig SD-card and you removed the option to use it. Now I can't use Spotify at all on my phone.

If you can run the older version of the Spotify Client for Android. You can set the SD card path with it and then upgrade to the newer version. The newer version will obey the rule set with the older version and the cache will go to the SD card instead of the default location - being the device memory. Surely this means to clear the device offline playlist memory etc. first so they don't take double the space.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

I have tried that but it didn't work.

The path to SD card should be right before this trick works.

Yeah I know. I had it right both times that I tried it before and it didn't work. For some unimaginable reason it did work now, the third time.

Suggested posts