Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to prevent Spotify from running on phone when in use on PC

How to prevent Spotify from running on phone when in use on PC

I think used to be called Spotify connect.  How to disable this useless and unnecessary feature that causes Spotify to run on our phone when using Spotify on a PC?

Obviously I've already read countless forms and Googled everywhere for an answer.  Being told to put my phone in "offline mode" is not a solution.  Obviously I could also turn off my wifi to accomplish the same.

This is an issue because its messing with other apps and draining resources.

* Running brand new Android Galaxy S21 Ultra

Top Answer
Ashryvr

If you have a newer Samsung S(#), then you can pull the notification tab down 2 times.  You should see a button that says "Media Output".  Click it, then click the arrow at the top right of the screen.  Next, deselect Spotify as one of the options to play.  That should stop it from playing on your phone while listening on PC.  Hope this helps!
(I just figured it out while reading this thread.)

49 Replies

Not only is this an ongoing issue but it seems to be getting worse. I can't shut the damn app off from running in the background, even when I kill it, a few minutes later it shows up. 

Now, occasionally I will put my Bluetooth earbuds in when I'm getting ready for a meeting and music will start playing through them. 

The app is not running anywhere on my PC, cellphone, vehicle...yet somehow there's music playing in my earbuds. 

Why is this a thing?

On the spotify settings on my phone app, I disabled the setting "Spotify Connect in background" (under the "Devices" heading). Now when I manually close the Spotify app on my Pixel 6 Pro, my PC no longer communicates to my phone. But when I haven't closed my Spotify app, the PC and phone communicate with eachother again. This seems to be a partial solution depending on if you're the kind of person to manually close apps or not.

Screenshot_20230530-105234.png

I came across this thread almost after 2 years and I still face the same issue. The Spotify App on my phone pushes a non-removable notification about what song is being played on my laptop. I have to open the app and then remove it from recent tabs just to remove the stupid notification. 

Yep. There are no solutions.  We are out-numbered and Spotify doesn't have to care.  They'd rather have suckers and fools for customers, . . . . most businesses would.

The amount of time and screenshots I had to spend explaining what was happening tells all I need to know.  "We were unable to recreate the issue you are having."  Really, that's funny, everyone else (us non-coders / techies) here seems to be able to.

My work PC is not on Wifi, it is a wired connection. My phone app still turns on as soon as I hit play. This is a new computer and this never happened with the old one. When I look at available devices on my PC app, my phone is not even listed. Spotify is just eating up my battery and it's a PITA to have to force close the phone app every single day. It's frustrating enough that I am looking into other music streaming options and I've use Spotify for years. What ever you did with Spotify Connect, you ruined my streaming experience. Such a shame. I've read several things on how to stop it and none work other than the Force Stop on my phone app. I'm fed up.

Try "deep sleeping apps" which is another option...says to never allow background operations. Sleeping apps still allows occasional access. Seems there was probably pressure to have two levels of sleeping as apps didn't want to go to sleep.

took a while to find a solution. i had to go to phone settings and turn off "Nearby devices" permission for spotify.

It's ridiculous this is still an issue. Clearly Spotify do not want to resolve it.

It's incredibly annoying as I have multiple playlists, some I listen to in the car using my phone, others while working at my PC. I NEVER, EVER want them to connect to each other.

Same.  For reals, it's just so dumb. I hop in my car with a friend last week and the audiobook I was listening to over the weekend begins playing without being prompted.

Thank god it was not something too controversial or self-revealing of a title lol.

I love how I found this thread...and it's obvious spotify still doesn't care to properly disable this or give users their independence. Why on Earth does spotify even control the volume of my computer at all? I want this to be turned off. I don't want my devices "talking" to each other in that way, through an app that should just be playing music.

Suggested posts