Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is there a way to revert to the previous version of the Android App?

Solved!

Is there a way to revert to the previous version of the Android App?

the newest version has three flaws:

1. no exit option; 2
  2. no landscape mode;
  3. no capacity to play music on the device

I hope that Spotify fixes this, but in the mean time, any way to revert to previous version?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

After a few minutes, I found the following link.  I was able to revert to the previous version, and it is working quite well.  For those of you, like me, who found the new vesrion a problem, I installed it from the link below by using dropbox on my android.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is8edr5rwjl22z7/SpotifyAndroid.apk

View solution in original post

19 Replies

1. no exit option

I would not call this a flaw: it's by design for modern Android apps. Check you other apps: how many have an Exit option?

2. no landscape mode

True, but then most people hold their phone in portrait mode so this "flaw" will no unnoticed for most.

3. no capacity to play music on the device

How it works is a bit different now but you can still play local music on the device. See Spotify on Android: Workarounds for Missing Features.

1. Exit Option - Actually, several have this option, (e.g. Audible)  and it is quite helpful at times;
  2. Landscape - Use my phone in landscape a majority of the time, when in cardock or table dock. This is a significant problem with the app in newest version;
  3. Local music - I appreciate the workaround, though it is quite cumbersome.  In fact, to quote the website drectly :

"Of course this is a bit of a long-winded workaround and might seem daft if you already have the MP3s on your phone in thefirst place. But it does work! Just be sure your phone is on the same WiFi network as your PC and that you let the filesfinish syncing before you quit Spotify on the desktop or phone."

So all in all, the upgrade is a downgrade.  It is likley that without a fix, I will d/c my subscription.  If I am stating this on a community forum, I am not the only one doing so, I suggest Spotify take a look at the data on cancellation subsequent to release of the newest version.

The response from Afront was terse and defensive, not helpful in general.  I hope this is not representative of Spotify as an organization that intends to serve customers

Hey,

Afront, me or any other Community Founder isn't associated with Spotify in any way.

We are volunteers here, actually Spotify users like you. We are not in the office of Spotify.

However, Spotify is improving Android app, radio ios coming and more cool stuff, but sadly I do not know more about timeline.

Spotify does not comment how to get a old app back, but in Internet you might be able to find old apk file and install Spotify this way to your smartphone.

Cheers.

Marked as solution

After a few minutes, I found the following link.  I was able to revert to the previous version, and it is working quite well.  For those of you, like me, who found the new vesrion a problem, I installed it from the link below by using dropbox on my android.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is8edr5rwjl22z7/SpotifyAndroid.apk

Thank you, man.

I marked your post as solution.

<sigh> is this really worth the effort? It's not as if we get credit towards our Spotify subscriptions or anything. OR ANYTHING.

Companies like giffgaff have a much fairer model: they give their support staff customers who help other customers actual credit towards their bill (or to charity).

Yes, that will be good. Credit towards to all super users.

Hi all,

This new version is a bit annoying, but hoping to get used to it.

I haven't yet been able to figure out a couple of things:

How do you clear the queue in a single press?

How do you add an entire playlist to a new queue (rather than add a single track to the queue)?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

scott

Thank you. The old app seems to be a more sane approach. And the process used to rectify the situation was a snap. I am now back in action. 

The trouble is, the old version has more features (which Spotify are bound to re-add over time) but is incredibly buggy and has a much inferior interface. The loss of features is acceptable because it now actually works.

Remember it's a re-write from scratch, features are bound to be need to be re-added.

@ Afront:

Good reply. Most people don't hold their tablets in portrait though.

The workaround for the removable of local mp3 support isn't really suitable because the way Spotify syncs files by renaming eahc MP3 with some pointless number structure and then dumping them into a single folder makes a mess of the artist/album structure that is usually created.

Just give me back proper local file support, like it used to have.

The comments from hpguru and Afront kind of piss me off.  It's nothing that they did, but why are volunteer users on here the ones getting feedback and not the actual developers and higher ups from within Spotify?  There are so many pissed off people who have ranted on here about the terrible Android app and it really makes me wonder if they give a crap and read this stuff.  None of the feedback from the users seems to have been taken into consideration and I'm guessing it's because the actual developers don't look on here.  Heck, just go look at the recent reviews of the app in the Play Store.  They're almost all terrible.

They've listened, they've re-written the app from scratch because the old one was so bad. I bet they're re-adding missing features right now.

yes, i bet they'll have those missing features pushed out to us in a speedy 18 months.  and i bet they won't introduce any new bugs either.

there are the handful of customers that have decided to make QA/support volunteer work their full time job.  probably because they really want spotify to be the kick-a$$ service they know it could be.  on the other hand, they probably contribute to spotify not providing their own QA/support/customer-communication-of-any-sort-whatsoever.

how long will people continue to "help" spotify before they realize that android is not a serious platform for spotify, has not been for over two years, and will not be in the future.  the choice is clear -- get an iPhone, or buy CDs.

@personanongrata wrote:

on the other hand, they probably contribute to spotify not providing their own QA/support/customer-communication-of-any-sort-whatsoever.

Hello.

We do try and contribute here on the community when we can, but as the community guidelines state, the community is not an official support channel for Spotify. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Hello.

We do try and contribute here on the community when we can...

i couldn't have said it better myself.

and wtf?  if it's not an "official support channel," then why are spotify reps on here asking people to file formal bug reports right here on this forum?  just to momentarily distract them from the horrendously bad software they're paying for?

so where is your "official support channel?"  is that where you submit a problem via e-mail, then wait several days for a form-letter response that tells you to uninstall and reinstall the app?

obviously you'd have to make a good-faith effort to deliver working software as a prequisite to "supporting" it.

Old version worked for me but it seems to be mt phone when I turn it off to charge then on I'm asked to login to spotify again and then its lost it all.

I've now gone back to the previous version and banned my phone from updating it. I hope this is okay with Spotify. I don't like the new one and it does not work anyway. This one does work just fine. If they stop it working I will cancel my service. 

And in other news ladies and gents, a man got so furious he turned purple and imploded. Capoom!

Suggested posts