Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issue with ofline content and SD card -- storage location issue with two newest updates on spotify

Issue with ofline content and SD card -- storage location issue with two newest updates on spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

(Samsung Galaxy Note 4)

Operating System

(Android 6.0.1)

My Question or Issue

Recently (Spotify update 84.67.886, and the version before that) an old issue started to occur again. In the past have worked around this by running older, seemingly more stable, versions of Spotify.

The shortest decription of this issue is that my offline data from my SD card will be ignored after phone resets and other non-defined times.

Spotify will start using my local phone storage and create a new offline data default location - it is important to note: I am not manually selecting a new storage location, it is switching to local storage on it's own. After it makes the switch to local storage the data remains on the SD card; when i select the SD card as my storage location, in effort to utalize the data the program recognizes it's old data and erases it to make room for the new data folder.

Each time it does this I have to redownload around 30 giabytes much of which must come from my home network, to include some content not availiable on Spotify.

This issue is extra detremental when i am on a long roadtrip and my data is dumped. now i have to use wireless data to play incomplete playlists.

As far as ideas to fix this, i'm sure many of the solutions are restricted by licencing agreements but anyway:

My favortie solution would probablyt be to --

Make a precedent for hot swapable storage locations - a premium user is allowed offline data anyway and is limited by devices and songs, not by data. The songs would only be avaliable as the sd card is plugged into the device anyway.

The previous solution would at least prevent my sd card from getting its data erased.

I'm not a programmer, but I would appreciate a discusion into how to fix/prevent this issue.

-My SD card is in good health.

1 Reply

Hi @Samitch04, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Just to check, as soon as the music changes it storage, are you able to see the option in the Spotify app to change it back to the SD card?

If possible, we'd recommend to give it a go using a different SD card to see if you have the same issue.

Have a nice day 🙂

Suggested posts