Premium

Country

United States

Device

Motorola ThinkPhone

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

Whenever I start Spotify when connected to my vehicle it will start and then the screen will go dim and become completely unresponsive like a popup or an add but there was nothing to dismiss it and there was nothing showing

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey folks!

Thank you for all the reports!
This is now being looked into 🙂

For everyone new here who hasn't done so already, please let us know the following details:

• Your device
  • Its OS version
  • Your Spotify app version

Many thanks! We'll keep you posted.

53 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Google Pixel 6a

Operating System

Android 

My Question or Issue

Upon starting Spotify, the screen goes dim and the app is completely unresponsive. I have to turn Bluetooth off for the screen to NOT dim. After turning it back on, it will not connect to my car's audio. 

Managed to get a screen recording of what has been happening.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MmEMv9nQmFWF7wHrfzcue0Z49nU8BkRx/view?usp=sharing

Additional info you wanted:
Galaxy S22 Android 14

Spotify app - version 8.8.92.700

Disable WiFi when not connected to a WiFi network.

I've done that before and it doesn't change anything. In fact it shouldn't have mattered because I had a podcast episode downloaded so wifi shouldn't have been necessary.

I am having the exact same problem as everyone else here.  Pixel 8. I came from a pixel 6 and never had this issue but as soon as I've had the Pixel 8 I am having the same exact issue as everyone is describing.  Everything is current with my software.  Yes I've tried reinstalling and all that.

The funny thing is if you open Spotify from the app drawer and not from your home screen it seems to work fine.  Also if I reboot it works.  It's something about transitioning between Wi-Fi and cellular while also connecting to the Bluetooth of my automobile.  It's very annoying and now I have to always open it, close it and then go to my app drawer and use that icon to launch it.

I can open my app but then a second later the screen is shadowing out (I can see all the options and buttons, but I can't press anything and the options dull. It's like it's dulling just before a pop up message, but like the message never appears- maybe?)

I've tried force stopping, clearing cache, un/reinstalling but the same thing is happening. 

Any ideas how to fix? I dont want to pay for a broken service...

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung s21

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Today I was able to find a way to get around the problem. All I did was if the app isn't working is shut the app down, turn my bluetooth off and then bring the app back up and turn my bluetooth back on. I don't know why, but for whatever reason that gets around the issue when connecting to my cars bluetooth.

I have the exact same issue on my Google Pixel 6A.

This only happens when connected to my car, no Android Auto.

It works if its connected prior to the car starts, but once the car is on and bluetooth connected the screen just goes dim once I start Spotify and the app is non-responsive. 

I've been having this issue off and on, always when I'm getting in my car after work and it disconnects from wifi and switches to using mobile. Today, however, it did the dim screen and I did the normal "turn off bluetooth, start to play, then reconnect to bluetooth" which is the only way I've been able to get it to work. But then it wouldn't play anything. If I tried to load my list of new podcast episodes it just had a green spinning wheel and never loaded. I tried to load music playlists, single podcast episodes, etc. Nothing worked. I cleared the cache, I rebooted my phone, I uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify. Nothing would load and nothing would play. I tried several times on the drive home, thinking it was a temporary issue with Spotify, but I couldn't get it to play until I got home and got back on wifi. I was streaming music through other apps on the way home, so I know it wasn't my data connection. I feel like every few weeks it's something new with this app and the previous stuff hasn't even been fixed. I don't know if what happened today was connected to the dim screen that is unresponsive, but it happened at the same time so figured it was worth mentioning.
I have a Pixel 6, no Android Auto, no extra dim enabled, I don't use car mode in spotify either.

1. Galaxy S23+, Android 14

2. 8.8.92.700

3. My screen dims and won't work in the car. See attachment.

Screenshot_20231205_074739_Spotify.jpg

I tried that network once but has not worked since. Now when I restart the app my car audio shows it is connected to my phone but the podcast plays only on my phone speaker.

I'm not using Android Auto and checked out the extra dim setting and turned it off. At this point the app is basically unusable for almost 2 weeks in my car.

I have the same issue, but if I hit back while the screen is dim, the screen goes back to normal and I can use it, but it clears whatever I was listening to last so then I have to go find the song or podcast again. 

Same. Pixel 8 Android 14 with Nov update Spotiy app 8.8.92.700

Hey folks!

Thank you for all the reports!
This is now being looked into 🙂

For everyone new here who hasn't done so already, please let us know the following details:

• Your device
  • Its OS version
  • Your Spotify app version

Many thanks! We'll keep you posted.

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

App version 8.8.92.700

Android 14

Same problem here. Dim overlay when connected to car Bluetooth. Swipe from right-hand side to left solves the issue for me

I also am having this problem when connecting to bluetooth radios in my vehicles. Have been dealing with it for weeks at this point. When I start the app it goes dim and I can't touch anything. All I have to do is his the "back" button atleast on my phone. That's not the worst part. The part that is really maddening is that it doesn't save my spot in my podcasts and also switches so some random song or Playlist. Even if I step out and away from my car for a few minutes. 

Samsung s22+

Android version 14

Spotify version 8.8.94.577

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies and for all the info shared.

The team came back to us and let us know this should be fixed now. Would you mind double-checking if you're still experiencing this issue? Please let us know.

We'll be on the lookout!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I'm having the same issue 

Android 14

Pixel 8 pro 

Spotify version 8.8.96.364 com.spotify. music

Suggested posts