Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files not downloading to app

Local files not downloading to app

I am having a problem with my local files playing on the Android Spotify app. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but it doesn't seem to work, all the other music downloads but not my local files that have been added to that playlist. 

It used to work, but sometimes spotify does this "oops, you don't have any songs downloaded and we need to download them all again" screw ups and now they don't download.

When i scroll down to them in the playlist they are grey (with no grey downloading icon, just purely greyed out) and when I press on them it says "this song is not available". 

My phone and my desktop are on the same home internet and I don't know what the problem is but it's really frustrating. The songs I have in local files are ones not available on spotify. 

15 Replies

Please read the support topic here for assistance setting up local file sync: Listen to local files

Make sure that you are on the same WiFi network and Windows & third party firewalls are configured to allow the Spotify connection through.

Another point to note is that sometimes if a track is stored locally & is also available to stream then when you sync to your device it will automatically use the Spotify streaming version but the data from your playlist. If for some reason the metadata such as track length differs this can cause conflict and break the track. In this instance you are best off removing the local file from your playlist on the desktop and adding the track from the Spotify server then re-sync. This should fix this issue.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I am on the same wifi network, the song I want to listen to is shown in my local files but it greyed out in my app. It used to work and no longer is.

This post has contained no answers. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, nothing.

Is there any place I can go where people paid by spotify can help me? Because this is getting to be ridiculous and a huge portion of why I paid for spotify in the first place is redundant. That functionality is required for me to be a premium subscriber.

you can contact @SpotifyCares on Twitter if you want official help.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I still have not been able to get my local files to play on my phone l, they just show up in grey and wont do anything when clicking on it. Spotify customer service sucks, they just tell you the same thing over and over even though you have told them that you have done everything that the forums say to try with no succes

I posted this months ago and still have no solution. Same thing as you just said. Months and nothing has changed. It used to work and now it doesn't. 

I've just spent the last 2 hours looking at different threads and the such on here and other websites looking for a solution to this problem as I just ran into this issue after moving houses.

Finally found a way to get my Local Files to download back onto my phone!

On your computer (assuming you're using a Windows PC) open up Settings and go to "Network & Internet" Select WiFi and select "Advanced Options" Under this there should be a setting to "Make this PC discoverable" ensure that this is turned on and you shouldn't have any problems with your phone/ tablet finding your PC and making the files avaliable for download!!

Hope this helps!! 

This fixed it for me, thanks!

This did not fix it for me.... 

Any other suggestions? It is really frustrating, because it used to work fine, but not anymore

Any issues are normally down to communication issues so here's a list of things to check if local files won't download.

• Your PC and mobile must be connected to the same Network/SSID and spotify should be running on your PC.
  • In your router settings, check that UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled.
  • Make sure that Windows shows your network as private and not public.
  • Set exceptions for spotify in any firewall or internet security programme. If you are unsure how to do this, temporarily disable them.
  • Check that you haven't already hit the limit of 3,333 downloads per device or 9,999 downloads across all devices.
  • If you are using a wifi network outside of your home, there is every chance that the protocols used by spotify for downloading are blocked.

If you still can't make it work, you can create a mobile hotspot on your mobile and connect your PC to this hotspot via wifi. Syncing the local files should then work.

Any issues are normally down to communication issues so here's a list of things to check if local files won't download.

• Your PC and mobile must be connected to the same Network/SSID and spotify should be running on your PC.
  • In your router settings, check that UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled.
  • Make sure that Windows shows your network as private and not public.
  • Set exceptions for spotify in any firewall or internet security programme. If you are unsure how to do this, temporarily disable them.
  • Check that you haven't already hit the limit of 3,333 downloads per device or 9,999 downloads across all devices.
  • If you are using a wifi network outside of your home, there is every chance that the protocols used by spotify for downloading are blocked.

If you still can't make it work, you can create a mobile hotspot on your mobile and connect your PC to this hotspot via wifi. Syncing the local files should then work.

Joe

Hi Joe, 

the mobile hotspot option sounded as the easiest solution for me. But that does not work... When I connect my laptop to my mobile hotspot, it keeps saying 'waiting for download' (and yes, I have enabled the spotify app to download without wifi). 

Regarding the other options: my phone and laptop are on the same wifi. It used to work perfectly. I don't now how to check SSID connections... I'm kinda a noob. 

I also do not know how to check router settings.... 

Did some research, apparantly I cannot enable UPnP on my modem. 

I logged in, and also did not see this option anywhere.

So still not local files on my phone. So frustrating, because it used to work perfectly

"(and yes, I have enabled the spotify app to download without wifi)". What do you mean? You didn't put the app into offline mode, did you?

I had this problem just now, and I turned my cellphone's Wi-Fi off and then back on, and all the grey songs started to download.

I had this problem and I've spent the last hour or so trying to find a soulution and I finally did. I used the hotspot soulution that Joe offered. You have to turn of your wifi on your phone, connect your desktop to your hotspot, and enable cellular mode on the mobile sportify app. This worked for me so hopefully it will help out some other people. 

This did it for me. Thank you so much!

Suggested posts