Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files won't play on Android or Desktop, but plays fine on iOS

Local files won't play on Android or Desktop, but plays fine on iOS

(Mirroring my thread in the Dektop section, because it applies to this subforum as well: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Local-files-won-t-play-on-Android-or-Desktop-but-plays-fine...)

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Galaxy S9+ (8.0, ARG8) running Spotify 8.4.72.845

i6s, 11.1.2 running Spotify 8.4.62.490

Desktop, Windows 7 running Spotify 1.0.91.183.g259b84fa

My Question or Issue

So I have this song. I added it to my playlist and downloaded it to all my devices.

Here's the kicker: when I try to play it on my desktop, it gives me a "Spotify can't play this file right now. You can import it if you have the file on your computer."

When downloaded on my Android, it either greys out the song or when I try to play it, it shows the "now playing" bottom bar for a split second before disappearing.

When downloaded on my iOS device, it plays, but doesn't show the album art.

What I've Tried:

Desktop: I've tried installing the full version of the K-Lite Codec Pack. The song plays fine when I play from Windows Media Player.

Android: Plays fine from Phonograph (local music player app). Redownloading it  doesn't help.

Attached below are the song's properties. 

Capturffe.PNG 

Any ideas on why this file refuses to play on anything but my iOS device, despite playing fine in any player that isn't Spotify's?

1 Reply

workaround: converted all the songs that couldn't play from m4a to mp3, and now it plays on all my devices.

Suggested posts