Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Multiple People Can control this device pop-up occurs twice

Multiple People Can control this device pop-up occurs twice

When I open the app on my chromebook and play a track the "Multiple-people can control this device" warning/informational pop-up displays twice. I have to click "Got It", Close the device list under it, then there's a second copy of the pop-up, I have to click Got it again, and then close a second device list. This happens every time the app is fresh launched, and then I get another single pop-up if the app has gone unused long enough for the app to go to sleep in the background. This means I'm dismissing this pop-up a minimum of 3 times a day and it's been happening since at least the last update
App version 8.8.18.509
ChromeOS Version 110.0.5481.181 (64-bit)
25 Replies

Hi there Umbralupinus, Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with Spotify on your Chromebook. Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help:

1. Clear the app cache: Go to "Settings" > "Apps" > "Spotify" > "Storage" > "Clear Cache".

2. Reinstall the app: Uninstall Spotify from your Chromebook, then reinstall it from the Google Play Store.

3. Check for updates: Make sure your Spotify app is up-to-date by going to the Google Play Store and checking for any available updates.

4. Disable any unnecessary Chromebook extensions: Some Chromebook extensions may interfere with apps. Disable any extensions that you don't need and see if the issue persists.

5. Reset Chromebook settings: Go to "Settings" > "Advanced" > "Reset settings" and reset your Chromebook settings to their default values.

Hope to get things sorted, 

-Prague the Dog

PragueSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I tried the suggested troubleshooting steps 1-4, and confirmed the duplicate pop-up persists.

I did not do step 5 as asking a user to reset their device to factory defaults seems like an unreasonable troubleshooting step. 

I'm sorry to hear that the previous troubleshooting steps did not resolve the issue. In that case, it may be helpful to try uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify app on your Chromebook.

If that still does not work, you can try contacting Spotify support directly to report the issue and see if they have any additional troubleshooting steps or solutions to offer. They may also be able to provide more information on whether this is a known issue that they are working on fixing.

PragueSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm having the same problem on both my phone in the app and my chromebook on the app. If I leave my computer alone for 20-30 minutes the popup about device controlling across wifi comes up and I have to press "got it" and then the x button. Then the same thing comes up again. Once I had it happen 4 times in a row. I've closed out of the app multiple times, no luck.

Here's what the popup looks like on mobile

Screenshot_20230604-005912_Spotify.jpg

I get the same issue on my Chromebook as well.

Also, every time I see those same steps about "Delete cache, uninstall, reinstall", I just know that it will not resolve my issue. How about instead of randomly trying things and hope they stick, Spotify's QA team buys a chromebook and actually tries to reproduce the issue, so that it can be fixed?

It seems to be fixed now! Hopefully it works for you all as well. Been fixed for a few weeks now.

still happening for me.

I ended up deleting the app data and cache and it fixed it. Either that or it's because I joined premium. Try deleting the app data through your phones settings and the cache and see if that works?

I have to dismiss this notification 2 or 3 times each time the track changes. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling and clearing app data. Spotify development team, please halp. Issue affects updated Chromebook + updated Android + updated Spotify app. Please halp.

In this condition, the app is impractical to use for background listening. Each time the notification is displayed the screen is commandeered by Spotify. And it takes pressing enter 4 times to dismiss.

Have seen this pop up 2x already this morning.
EDIT: 2 more times since I originally posted this, less than an hour ago.

Please fix. This has been open since March.

I recently installed spotify on chromeos and ran into the same problem.  The instructions to turn off the feature don't work for me.

Spotify please give this thread some attention. For me, the pop-up re-appears every few songs. Closing it also stops playback on my chromebook.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback on this issue. 

We've reported this to the relevant developer teams at Spotify, who are currently investigating why it's happening. 

We'll keep you posted here when we get any news on this.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you

I appreciate you are now "looking at this" but it's been a long time and we are all still waiting...Any update?

By the way, as each track plays and you get this notification, Spotify also steals focus from the application in focus.

Please fix this. I've also been dealing with it. I keep checking to see if there's resolution, and there's none. I'm posting to add to the pile. 

Suggested posts