Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My device will sometimes randomly switch to "now playing on Becky's ipad." But there is no Becky.

My device will sometimes randomly switch to "now playing on Becky's ipad." But there is no Becky.

Starting a few months ago, every once in a while and for with no pattern I've been able to discern, my Spotify will tell me that it is now playing on Becky's ipad. I'm not close with any Becky's. I don't own any ipads. Neither do most people I know.

I will share what happens when this occurs, and what I've sought to do about it and learn about it. Maybe you'll have an idea for a fix, or this is a bug others have encountered.

Notes: It's happened about 10 times in the last 5 months. It's happened when I've been on my own wifi network with data off, on more than one friends' and my work's wifi network with data on, and then turned off, and also when I've had data on but no wifi. I have tried switching both my wifi and my data OFF when it happens (I have a paid account and a lot downloaded), and it will still happen. As far as I remember it has never started when both were already off. The second time it happened I toggled the settings to "only find devices on my wifi network" to no effect. Becky's supposed ipad kept intruding.

When it occurs, it a)happens automatically; b)I can toggle it back to "play on my phone" and c) it will automatically toggle back to "now playing on becky's device" and this will often continue 6,7, 10 times even. I will close out the app, and when I go back in, it will still be doing it. Short of shutting my phone down and turning it back on the issue doesn't go away and I have to just stop playing anything. Another strange part is that a)It always automatically plays a song by the artist "Miguel" whose music is not saved or downloaded on my phone on any playlist. Additionally, it will always show the artist SZA's "Ctrl" album radio as my most recently played. Today when it happened again, it additionally showed the album "Trip" by Jhene Aiko's album radio as recently played. I have only heard of these artists because of these werid flukes. This all happened while I was in the middle of playing a personal, downloaded playlist I'd made.

Some additional things to know: Since this started (about 5 months ago) I have had multiple spotify updates (I currently have the most recent Android update). I have ALSO gotten a brand new phone (2 months ago). I currently have the most recent Android updates on my LGV20.

Finaly note, I'm aware that "Becky" is now a nickname for all kinds of abstract identity issues in pop culture. So, basically, I also think this is hilarious. But also it's real that I have what feels like a ghost Becky's ipad occasionally trying to use my phone's Spotify account. Thanks for ideas, insights or possible answers to my "**bleep** is going on" question.

1 Reply

Hi!

When somebody uses your Spotify account you should go to your Account Overview and click sign out everywhere. Also you should change your Spotify password.

Best regards.

LukeSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts