Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New and Improved Android Widget

New and Improved Android Widget

Spotify is bringing a new update to the home screen widget on Android devices. This update will help you get more out of it than before.

The new widget will make it simpler and faster to access your favourite content on Spotify.

So what is changing?

Here is a quick look into both the old and new widgets:

Amayy_0-1689082497746.png

As you can see in the picture above, the new widget brings more choices for you to interact with your Spotify app.

The old widget helped you with some basic playback controls like pause, play, and change content. The new one will help you quickly play from the recommendations.

When you are playing something, the widget will contain an NPV (now playing view), just like before. But now there are more items for you to choose from without needing to navigate to the app itself.

Clicking on a recommendation will foreground the playlist/podcast inside of the app.

Marketing_asset (1).png

The new widget will contain the controls alongside recommendations based on your listening habits. There will be up to 5 suggested items personalized just for you. This includes playlists, albums, podcasts and audiobooks.

Is this available only to Premium users?

No. This improved widget is available to everyone using Spotify on an Android device. You do not need to be a Premium member just for the widget. 

But I am not seeing this change, why?

The best way to make sure that you receive the new features and changes is by keeping the latest version of the Spotify App. So make sure your App is updated and you will get the new widget soon.

It’s available for Android version 5 or higher, Spotify client 8.8.50 and upwards.

Have feedback? Comment below!

If you are facing any issues or have a suggestion, feel free to reply to this thread with your feedback.

AmayySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
62 Replies

Honestly thank you so much for your page. I’ve perused all kinds of topics on your channel, and I always thoroughly enjoy all of your content. 😍

My widget changed this week after an update, to the one displayed here..but I really, really , really miss the "add to liked songs" plus sign , it's really frustrating.. any way to get the widget back with that button?

What's with this widget? It keeps recommending stuff i wouldn't listen to in a million years and has some random artist I've definitely never listened to before as the current/last listened to! I've had to start using the more simplified widget instead

Suggested posts