Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Personal Audio Files always opened by Spotify (w/out Permission) & Crashes

Solved!

Personal Audio Files always opened by Spotify (w/out Permission) & Crashes

Premium/UK/Galaxy A50

Hi All,

I have been using Spotify on my phone for many years. I also use my phone to play personal audio files (i.e music I'm working on and have saved in my downloads).

Recently none of my downloaded audio files (excluding files recorded directly into a voice note app) are opening, and instead Spotify attempts to open them, and fails, sometimes crashing Spotify in the process.

Normally after selecting an audio file, the in-built audio player would open up, a simple play/pause button and timestamp. Now the Spotify logo appears, the app opens on the main screen, and nothing else happens (except sometimes it crashes).

I have reinstalled & cleared the cache. I don't allow Spotify to access my local files.

Any ideas?

Thanks, J

Top Answer
Calb

This appears to be an issue with the My Files app on Samsung phones not properly using (or giving the option to use) the built in media player when an alternative media player such as Spotify is installed. In the Galaxy Store or Play Store you can install the Samsung Music app which fixes the issue and allows audio files to play in the My Files app without even leaving the app once you set Samsung Music to the default, just as they would if Spotify wasn't installed at all. I know a lot of people are upset about having to install an app to fix this issue, but technically the Samsung Music app is already pre-installed on Samsung phones, although a bare bones version of it. Installing the full version of the app or uninstalling Spotify are the only solutions. From my understanding, Spotify can't fix this issue because it's being caused by Samsung's default apps settings not working correctly. I tested if this issue persists having only VLC installed instead of only Spotify, and sure enough the same problem is present. The only difference is that VLC pops up asking for permission to view the local files where Spotify doesn't. Still though, good luck with a lawsuit over something like that. Installing Samsung Music along with VLC fixes the issue just as it does with Spotify. I hope this information helps someone.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This was happening to me too and the solution I found was to install a new music playing app. I think the issue was that Spotify was the only app on my phone that was capable of playing audio files so no matter what it would be the default, whereas in the past I believe I had Google Music but since it was discontinued Spotify became the new default.

View solution in original post

66 Replies

I've been having the same issue since yesterday. It never happened before and only deletion of Spotify helps.

I'm also having this problem 😥

I'm also having this issue, following!

I have this problem too and as a musician who can't open his own files it is pretty annoying.

I have exactly the same issue - I was trying to play MP3 audio files which were sent to me via email (recorder practice room sessions). I found that I had to give permission for Spotify to access my personal files and then download the mp3 files - which stores them in a local files folder in my Spotify library. Up until the most recent android systems update the files would open in an internal media player type window. Pretty poor that you now don't even get the option to select which program or app to open the files with, just automatically sends them to open in Spotify (which as above, then doesn't work)

This started happening to me yesterday and it's becoming infuriating.  I did not pay for this service to start interrupting my activity outside the app.  If there isn't a solution by end of week, I'm canceling my subscription, deleting the app, and taking my business elsewhere.

As a TEMPORARY Solution, I have found that downloading "File Manager - XFolder" by InShot Inc. from the Google play store allows me to open my files without spotify deciding it deserves to open them. It's fairly similar to the standard 'My Files' app and for me, at least, has a better audio player as well. After installing it you can still use the My Files app as well, but when opening audio files it'll ask you to choose to open with Spotify or XFolder, so the 'My Files' file player still doesn't show up. I'm starting to think that this is an issue with Samsung/Android as opposed to one with Spotify, because a while back I had the same problem with VLC media player. The way the native file player is handled is just weird, and I think apps recognized as audio players mess with it. I think maybe an update to either Spotify or Android exposed the flawed system. Anyways hopefully it gets fixed soon.

it's also happening to me

fiiiix it

It's funny how this post is like a lightning rod for all us frustrated musicians 😄

Thanks for the suggestion, will try this out. 

What is happening!?? I can't even play my own recordings without having Spotify take over AND CRASH!?? FIX THISS NOWWWW!!!!....please 😊

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community! Apologies for the delayed response, but we just came across this thread. 

First of all, thank you all for reporting this happening, however we're not able to reproduce this behavior of the mobile app. We'd need some more context info so we can advise you better. 

The default application used for specific actions, including music playback is controlled by the OS of your device and you should have settings which app to handle which file types. Usually, the OS asks which app should be used and if that should happen only once or always.

Keeping in mind the above, it's worthwhile to revisit your phones' settings and make changes if needed. Most commonly the settings are under Settings > Apps & Notifications > Default apps, but this can vary between phone models and ROMs.

Something else that might help is to try installing a different, dedicated music player app, rather than a streaming app, and see if you'd get prompted to choose it as the default application to handle your music files.

Hope any of this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

This was happening to me too and the solution I found was to install a new music playing app. I think the issue was that Spotify was the only app on my phone that was capable of playing audio files so no matter what it would be the default, whereas in the past I believe I had Google Music but since it was discontinued Spotify became the new default.

Hey @ksn2632 ,

Thanks for getting back to us with your report.

What you're describing seem in line with the explanation @Kiril provided above and makes perfect sense. If there isn't any other music player app installed on the the device, it would make sense for the OS make Spotify the default app to play audio files.

Keep us posted if there are any new developments! 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Do you know if there is a way to get the old default player back? Installing a second app allows me to pick between the two, but not what I used to use. It doesn't seem to be in the default apps list either.

This is a scandalous bug: Spotify opens my PERSONAL CONTENT without me giving them permission.

If you want to get a claim, you are on the right path.

This HAS to be fixed now.

This is NOT fixed! Don't say it's solved because it is absolutely not.

Google Music has been discontinued for over a year. This issue is a few weeks old. It's not the reason.

This is not an acceptable solution. I've never had a separated music player app on my phone, and I shouldn't have to install anything extra to make Spotify stay out of my private mp3 files. This is an issue since the app updated around the new year. I've not had any Android system update that could have caused this either. Don't try and pass the buck when it's an issue with Spotify.

Very true. It makes me very very angry and upset.

They are really just automatically opening up my personal content when I said explicitely NO. I dont even get the question "do you want to change your settings and permission for Spotify", it just opens up, UN-believable and SCANDALOUS.

Fix it, or we have to make a claim, I am for real.

Suggested posts