Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

SD Card problem when syncing - possibe bug in latest update?

SD Card problem when syncing - possibe bug in latest update?

Almost everytime I try to sync a playlist, the SD Card gets ejected and I cannot use it on the phone again until I perform a checkdisk on the SD Card and try again.

It seems the Spotify app does something wrong when syncing and corrupts my SD Card.

I found this forum thread: (click 'view the archived content') which has the exact same issue.

When I copy a new file through my laptop to the SD Card, or I perform a checkdisk check on the SD Card. The problem is fixed. But the problem keeps re-occuring, which is very annoying.

Any help or a possible bug?

HTC Desire HD - Android 2.3.5

Kris

14 Replies

Perhaps the SD card is actually corrupt - got a different one you can try? There have been a number of similar cases and a few times this has been the answer
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Thanks for the reply. It's a possibility, but I've been using this SD card for more than a year now. So it's still strange the problems now suddenly occur.

After the error occurred, I have to repair the SD card with Windows 7 repair tool, otherwise it stays useless.

I'll keep you posted..

Same problem here. I've got an HTC one V and i just swiped the sd clean 2 weaks ago. I had no problems untill 2 days ago. My playlist doesn't match with the playlist on my desktop and ipad. I got the same SD problem like you discribe.. Every time i open the app Spotify shows me the playlist from 2 days ago. When I try to download the playlist he puts it back in the position i had two days ago. I downloaded the app a few times en i tried to clear cache, but that's not possible in a normal way. Please help 🙂

Hi there, And did possible solution work? Grz D

Hi everyone !

I'm just sick of this huge bug ! It's getting me mad Man Frustrated

And no one knows any issue ! 

Checkdisk works but it's an ephemeral solution !

Can we be sure that the sync function is the cause of all our problems ?

I'm often on offline mode so the playlists can't be synchronized and the bug still occurs...

Just to confirm that the same happened to me too, with the latest Spotify app on Android 2.3.5, plugged into the charger while initiating a sync through the Mac OS X application.

Indeed, ancient old posts on Get Satisfaction report the same: https://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/spotify_for_android_corrupting_sd_card_on_htc_desire

I don't know how full the card was (SanDisk 16GB microSD HC), but:

1. Windows XP chkdsk reports:

chkdsk e:

The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Volume Serial Number is 76F4-1EE0
    Insufficient disk space to correct disk error.
    Please free some disk space and run CHKDSK again.
  2. HTC Wildfire S (in which the card was damaged) does not recognize it all, and does not even enable the option to format it. An older 2GB card and a brand new 32GB card work fine in that same device.

3. An older Sony Xperia X10 mini goes through a verification cycle and then wants to format it for me.

4. OS X Disk Utility reports "unknown filesystem" and cannot verify let alone repair that.

5. Image Rescue 4 on OS X fails to scan it, but on Windows XP it reports the correct size, but then claims "No files found".

6. Maybe chkdsk on Windows XP reported a full disk as I had the card (reader) set to read-only, or maybe chkdsk needs the /r parameter. Anyway, with that parameter, two days later Windows 7 in Parallels on a Mac did manage to restore 1,464 files, being 1.26 GB, hence far less than the 16 GB capacity:

chkdsk e: /r

The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Volume Serial Number is 76F4-1EE0
    Correcting error in directory \
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and folder verification is complete.
    Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? y

1234432 KB in 1464 recovered files.
    Windows is verifying free space...
    Free space verification is complete.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

15,554,240 KB total disk space.
    64 KB in 1 folders.
    1,234,432 KB in 1,464 files.
    32 KB in bad sectors.
    14,319,680 KB are available.

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
    486,070 total allocation units on disk.
    447,490 allocation units available on disk.
    Some file allocation tables (FAT) are unwriteable.
  7. Finder on OS X still shows an empty disk (named NO NAME), but indicates that not all space is free. But in Terminal it is easily accessible:

cd "/Volumes/NO NAME/"
    ls
    FOUND.000
    cd FOUND.000
    ls
    FILE0000.CHK FILE0293.CHK FILE0586.CHK FILE0879.CHK FILE1172.CHK
    FILE0001.CHK FILE0294.CHK FILE0587.CHK FILE0880.CHK FILE1173.CHK
    FILE0002.CHK FILE0295.CHK FILE0588.CHK FILE0881.CHK FILE1174.CHK
    FILE0003.CHK FILE0296.CHK FILE0589.CHK FILE0882.CHK FILE1175.CHK
    Alternatively, in Finder one could hit Command-Shift-G to go to /Volumes/NO NAME/FOUND.000 directly too.

8. So, this gave me a FOUND.000 folder with files like FILE0001.CHK. The first five were not readable at all, but at least I could give the media files some file extension based on their magic number:

file -Ib * | sort | uniq -c

11 CDF V2 Document, corrupt: Can't read SAT; charset=binary
    2 application/msword; charset=binary
    693 application/octet-stream; charset=binary
    3 application/ogg; charset=binary
    15 application/pdf; charset=binary
    6 application/x-empty; charset=binary
    44 application/xml; charset=binary
    10 application/xml; charset=us-ascii
    9 application/zip; charset=binary
    4 audio/x-wav; charset=binary
    2 image/gif; charset=binary
    508 image/jpeg; charset=binary
    141 image/png; charset=binary
    1 text/html; charset=binary
    2 text/plain; charset=binary
    7 text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    6 video/3gpp; charset=binary

...and with that list of file types, I decided to recover just the media files:

mkdir renamed 

for f in *
    do
    file -I $f | \
    perl -n -e'/^([^.]*).*(3gpp|jpeg|ogg|wav)/ && print "$1.CHK renamed/$1.$2\n"' | \
    xargs cp
    done

So, I guess I recovered the most important stuff. Still, I now really don't dare to sync Spotify with my Nexus S, which has built-in USB storage that I cannot replace like a microSD. So, Spotify, if you happen to find a cause, then please don't silenty fix it but let us know that things are safe again!

Currently I'm not having any problems anymore. I formatted the sd card with windows. Checkdisk was my solution too to recover my sd card..

Spotify has been updated since the last time I had this error. Maybe the update fixed it? Although I still keep a close eye when I sync a new playlist...

I also started to loose my temper. I read somewhere that it could be that my SD card was screwed so I bought a new one... After I installed the new SD card, the problem was fixed... 

I hope you're problem could be fixed as easaly...

Grz D

I was given the same advice. Still, the same SD card works fine for now. I even added more music than before the problems occurred. So the problem should either be that one faulty bit or bytes on the SD card or something faulty with the Spotify application / Android OS?

Glad you solved the problem, I'm a happy Spotify user for now too, time will tell :). If the problem occurs again, I'll try a new SD card too.

Gr.

I also bought a new SD card but haven't tested yet. Hope it will be fine.

Thanks for your replies !

I have been having this problem with a Motorola Razr Maxx HD. I am on my 3rd brand new SD Card. There are two problems that I have seen:

1) the SD Card stops working entirely and all the (Spotify) files are gone

2) "Syncing error Unknown Error" from the Android App and I am no longer able to sync with the SD Card.

This is VERY frustrating. Especially, since I'm headed out of the country and was hoping to take Spotify with me.

Update: by enabling and disabling syncing of various un-synced Playlists I am able to get syncing going again for a short time. Then it hangs up until I start enabling/disabling syncing of Playlists. This has to be a bug.

And what about my Motorola Razr HD running Android 4.1.2 the's not using my SD card to store offline songs and playlists?

Thanks

What's the problem exactly, @user-removed ?

Suggested posts