Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Samsung S4, I open app and get a blank blank screen.

Samsung S4, I open app and get a blank blank screen.

This week my Spotify app has been inoperable. I open the app, and have a blank black screen with the Spotify symbol at the top left corner of the screen. Then it says Spotify as unfortunately stopped working and I will send a report. But it "stops working" every 30 seconds. Some things I have tried include:
-uninstall/install app
-restart phone
-remove battery and install battery
-remove SD card (won't work since I have downloaded songs for offline listening)

It's been going on for almost 5 days. What should I do now?
7 Replies

This used to happen to me too, I have a Samsung S4 Mini. It hasn't happened again to me since last two updates.

On my own thoughts I've always closed the app when I finish using it, like hold the home button for recent apps and slide the spotify app left/right to close completely. I think there's some sort of bug when you leave it open and just press the home buttom. 

Hope that helps, it did for me. (:

Happy Spotifying!

Please try following the guide linked in my signature for a clean install and ensuring your sd card is properly working with spotify. It's the common issues guide and covers off most troubleshooting steps

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

@ErickRGuetta: Yeah. I tried to force close it many times. Thanks for the suggestion though. Sometimes it will not even open for me to force close it.

@Daniel: Thanks. I got farther with your link. But I hit a snag. I was unable to delete /ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music from my SD card. And when I went to download the Helium backup and restore app from ClockworkMod  it will not open in my phone. At all. No screen. Just the a "Helium has unforunantly stopped" prompt for a quick second then that goes away. I looked into that but could not find anything. So currently I am stuck with that file that will not delete from my SD card, and not that much knowledge about backing up my data. Have any other backup & restore apps for a non rooted S4? Or another way to delete that file from my SD card? 

Hi, Can I ask: Are you rooted or not? You're talking about Helium & Clockworkmod which makes me wonder whether you're rooted.

This folder is what's causing you the issues. We need to remove it!

Try using the default stock file manager to try and delete it, if that still doesn't work then you may need to format the SD card (sometimes this is best done in a PC using a dedicated formatting tool).

Android Troubleshooting:

My phone is not rooted. Also, I am not that savvy on formatting anything. what I read on I need to backup everything on my phone and SD card first. I also do not know how to do that. That is why I was looking into Helium for backing everything up. 

I figured that file was my issue. Thanks for all the help.

Helium and clockworkmod are both best used if rooted. To get Helium to backup app data you need to use a pc and setup adb on your pc which sounds like something you wouldn't be comfortable doing.

Can you connect your phone to the pc and drag (copy) everything off the sd card to a folder on your pc. Once done in your phone go to settings and then storage. Scroll to sd card at the bottom and then select 'format'.

This should wipe your card. Now try connecting to the pc again and see if that folder has gone. If so, reinstall Spotify and put your dcim, music, video etc back on the card from your backup.

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts