Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Saving to SD Card on Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Solved!

Saving to SD Card on Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Hello everyone,

I'm an owner of a Moto X Style (Moto X Pure in US) and was having trouble saving my albums and playlists to the SD Card storage. I followed the entire android issues guide on SD Cards, but NOTHING worked. Until I went into the App Properties and saw that it did not have any permissions. And then, it clicked. Spotify didn't have Storage permission.

So, I followed the guide again: cleared cache, uninstalled the app, made sure the "com.spotify.music" folder was deleted on both internal and external storages, turned my device off and on again, re-downloaded the app and, before opening it, went to its properties to give storage permissions. What I did afterwards was to manually create the aforementioned folder on the sdcard folder Android/data. Then, logged onto the app, selected extreme quality and, voilá, problem solved!

Hope the mods can add this tip to the guide, to help anyone out there with Marshmallow.

67 Replies

BTW: There is another discussion with some possible workarounds here.

Thanks man, you help me so much! 😄

Not worked for my M8. 😞

This doesn't work for me sadly. HTC One M8, update came out just last week.

For the people that are rooted, you can youse Apps2SD's "Folder Mount" option. This allows you to move the Spotify cache folder to your sd card. I can confirm it also works when you save new music offline, it still uses the sd card as storage. This is a good solution until Spotify has figured this problem out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.co.pricealert.apps2sd&hl=en

Open app
Give it Root permission
Tap Folder Mount

Give it a name, for example: "Spotify" 

Select the Source folder. On the HTC One M8 that is "/storage/emulated/legacy/Android/data/com.spotify.music"

Select the Destination folder. I chose "/storage/55AC-4506(this is my sd cards name)/Android/data"

Select "Delete source folder contents after bind/link

Tap "Ok"

Move the slider next to the name to start the progress. 

Now you can start saving your music to the SD card!

Post deleted

thanks!!!!! it works in motorola x play

LG G4 now on Android 6. Spotify crashed at startup. I'm pisst!
Marked as solution

"For people with root, I found a solution here, working on my HTC M8 Andoird 6 Marshmallow with root:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Android-6-0-Marshmallow-no-SD-Card-download-possible...

Taken from there: 

0) uninstall spotify (just to make sure you start fresh)

1) install spotify

2) launch spotify but do not log in. Go to Settings → Apps → Spotify and Force Stop

3) [Requires Root] Use a file manager (e.g ES File Explorer) to navigate to /data/data/com.spotify.music/shared_prefs/

4) [Requires Root] Edit the file "spotify_preferences.xml" → towards the end, got to  :

<string name="cache_location_v4">/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music/files/spotifycache</string>

and change the path to point to the external SD instead. I just changed the emulated/0 part to the name of the directory where my external SD is mounted. In my case "/storage/ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music/files/spotifycache"

5) Start spotify. (optional: If you do not login, and switch back to the file manager and go to your SD Card/Android/com.spotify.music/ you will see that the directories where created).

6) Login, download a playlist (no need to switch to extreme quality).

7) Enjoy.

Hi there,

I'm also on cyanogenmod 13.0 , marshmallow on my Samsung Galaxy G900F!

Have you manager to get it working lastly? Thanks in advance!!

For anyone interested I've now finally got this to work on an unrooted HTC One M8 recently updated to Android Marshmallow.

I detailed what I did to achieve success here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Android-6-0-Marshmallow-no-SD-Card-download-possible...

the solution by "fruitjuice" in the link is not working :-(. People in the other post tried with differnent phones

Hey MusicLover (ChrisCross00x)

Thanks A LOT for you help, the workaround you shared worked flawlessly in my s5 mini with CM13!

THX!

He later retracted what he said!

ChrisCross00x fixed it! Thank you so much!!!

You are welcome, but as i wrote, the solution comes from another thread and we need to thank KimNguyen

I just reposted it.

None of these solutions did the trick for me on a Z3c. Google did a huge f*ck up with the way external storage is treated in Android 6.

Strange, I thought I posted the solution for Z3C, maybe it was another thread... I assume you mean Marshmallow Concept.

1. Uninstall Spotify, delete cache, etc.

2. Format your SD card as "internal" – for some reason it took a few tries for me but finally worked

3. Install Spotify BUT DO NOT RUN IT

4. Go to Apps > Spotify > Permissions and give it storage permission

5. Profit 🙂 (you don't need to use extreme quality)

It worked for me!!!! Thanks man!

i9505 CM13 (Android 6.0.1) - SuperSU 2.66

Suggested posts