Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shared Speakers with Family Plan

Shared Speakers with Family Plan

I have a trial of the family premium plan and am confused how best to setup shared devices, like the Alexa app.  I would like every family member to have access to their own music, and also allow multiple family members to use the Spotify Amazon app as a remote when music is playing on an Amazon Echo.  Additionally, I would like to be able to start music for the family, and then leave the house and listen to Spotify in my car.  As I understand it, initiating music in my car would stop music playing in the house (on the Echos) if I use my logon on the Alexa app.

FYI - I use several Amazon Echos around the house as a poor-man's Sonos system.  The kids also have Echos in their room, and it would be cool to allow them to play different Spotify music in their rooms, while I listen to my music downstairs.

It may make sense to create a special type of logon for shared devices, like Sonos or Amazon Alexa/Echo.  Maybe it already exists and I am unuaware.  Maybe this is just a pipe-dream.

1 Reply

Amazon Echo lets you switch between user profiles, so if you associate Amazon accounts with different Spotify ones, you can get the desired effect.

To add additional accounts, you'll need to login to alexa.amazon.com and head to Settings > Account > Household Profile. You can jump between them simply by saying "Alexa, switch profile" although Alexa can be trained to recognise each user's voice which is probably more intuitive.

Spotify only allows one active stream per user so no way to listen in two places at once I'm afraid.

Suggested posts