Country

Germany

Device

Fairphone 3+

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

Hey there,

since Saturday I am experiencing a very strange behaviour of the spotify app on my phone. It can only play music or load my playlists, when it is on wifi. Downloaded songs will also play on mobile data and some playlists will also load (my "Liked Songs" playlist and some random(?) others). Spotify does NOT show the "Spotify is offline" notification or anything similar. I can actually search and find any song but if I tap on it, nothing happens. Strangely, yesterday it worked for some hours and then stopped working again.

On friday i logged into my spotify account on a friends tablet. The next day i wanted to make sure to be logged out on the tablet again and went to my Spotify account settings in order to "Logout from all devices" which seemed to work properly. Additionally I changed my password. Afterwards I logged into Spotify again with the new password. I did so on my desktop PC (where everything works fine) and on my phone. Could this be in any way connected to the aforementioned issue?

My mobile data works fine on any other app except spotify. I already tried reinstalling the app and also a "clean reinstall" both of which didn't help at all. I also set background data permissions for spotify in the android system and disabled the mobile data saver in spotify.

I'd be very happy if anyone has more ideas on what to try. If you need any further information, please let me know. Thanks in advance

9 Replies

Hey there @schibullah

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community! 

We appreciate the detailed description of the issue and kudos for the troubleshooting steps you've already tried. We don't think you logging out from your devices should be related to this, but thanks for mentioning it. 

Would you mind creating a hotspot on your phone and connecting your PC to it to see if you can replicate this behavior on the desktop app with the mobile data? 

On another note, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your phone to check if the same happens with a different account? 

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

thanks for your help. Spotify works fine on another phone that is connected to  my WiFi hotspot. Another account on my phone has the same problem as my own account.

Yesterday it worked fine again, but today it's not playing anymore.

Do you have any further ideas?

Thanks again

Hey Eni,

some more info:

If I use my phone's browser to login to spotify it's also not playing this way. If I go to spotify with my phones browser without being logged in, it plays songs (at least short versions of the songs that is).

I can't put all that together 😕

I have the same or similar problem on my car radio tablet with Android 11. It worked perfectly for the last 2 years.
But for the last 1-2 weeks I have also noticed the problem mentioned above.
Sometimes the artist search also works normally, only the playback does not.
It works normally via WLAN tethering.
Reinstalling has not brought any improvement.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies and for the info shared.

@schibullah, in this case, we'd like to gather some additional info to better understand this behavior. So, it'd be awesome if you clarify:

• Do you use a VPN? Keep in mind Spotify doesn't officially support VPN. This means that issues with the app while using VPN are expected behavior. If yes, try switching it off.
  • Do you use any cache-clearing or task-killing apps? Take into account that these apps can affect the performance of the app. Try setting Spotify as an exception for those.
  • Would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version you're running on your device?

@1121905270, it'd be awesome if you could send us further info:

• Did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.
  • Would you mind sending us more details about how it used to work? Does your built-in tablet have its own hotspot?

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey Alejar,

thanks for your response. I don' use a VPN neither do I have cache-clearing or task-killing app.

My exact spotify version is: 8.9.40.509

It updated yesterday, so up until then i had the version before that.

Hey @schibullah,

Thanks for your response.

I ran a quick search on Fairphone's forum and found a couple of threads with similar issues (here and here) where users suggest checking your provider's APN settings and making sure they match your device's.

Please try this and let us know what happens.

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey, thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reaction. I was on a short
holiday. I checked my apn settings and as they really didn't match the
current provider specification, I updated them. Unfortunately with no
effect to spotify's behavior. The problem still persists

Hey @schibullah,

Thanks for your cooperation and for all the info shared.

You can give a try the following to see if you notice any difference:

• Try resetting the network of your device. To do it, search for the reset settings and locate the option to Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth. This might vary depending on the make/model of the device. 
  • If possible, insert a different SIM card into your device. You can ask for the SIM card of a relative or a friend to insert it on your phone and check.
  • Make sure your OS device is up-to-date

We'll be on the lookout! 

AlejaRModerator

Suggested posts