Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sonos and Android Issue - Spotify has been paused because account is used somewhere else

Sonos and Android Issue - Spotify has been paused because account is used somewhere else

I have an issue here that surrounds use of Spotify on my phone and my Sonos system. When I'm playing music on my Sonos system and I start Spotify on my phone, it pauses the audio on my Sonos system. Additionally, if I'm playing music on my phone and I start music on my Sonos system, it pauses the music on my phone. I've been able to reproduce the same behavior with the web player and my phone. It will only let one play at a time. I don't have a screenshot handy or I would show. The username on the account(s) are the same. How do I resolve this issue?
2 Replies

This is expected behaviour - play is permitted on one device at a time and I can't think of a situation where a user would want to listen on two devices simultaneously.

Out in my garage, phone hooked up to speakers playing music through Spotify. I don't have any Sonos capability there currently. As far as I can tell, there's no way in Sonos to just play what's on the Sonos system through my phone. At the same time in my house, Sonos system running and playing music (or not playing music in this case). I have to be honest, its kind of disappointing that this is expected behavior. Even more so that they're originating from the same account and IP address. Especially since sharing out the account details would be against the terms of service. Pandora does not exhibit this behavior, nor does Amazon Prime music. Same account and source IP address. I'm only in the trial period of Spotify so I haven't put up too much should I decide to cancel. Anyway, since I started this post it looks like I *may* have found a work around. Since I have such a large amount of storage capacity on my phone (128GB) I can just download a bunch of whatever content I want and throw Spotify into 'offline' mode and it will let me stream both sides simultaneously. So mostly eliminated the issue on my side. I'll have to see how this goes. Thank you for the help!

Suggested posts