Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Running for Android.

Solved!

Spotify Running for Android.

Hey there,

Is there Spotify running support ve Android phones? Or will there be any support in the future?

Thank you.

34 Replies

Well the Summer is ending and the "running" feature would be rather pointless in the winter :D. If you want to release it now would be the time to do so.

If you like using the "Your Music" feature have in mind that you are LIMITED to 10 000 tracks. If you want this to be fixed vote for this post

Android, where are you?

It's currently being beta tested and assuming no further issues are found it will hopefully be out soon.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

The "it's being Beta tested" is being used too often really. This is starting to remind me of the South Park episode of The Game of Thrones..."don't worry they're coming" 😛

del

When? I just bought premium, because I thought running was only in premium version 😞 How to become a tester?

@dorritvogn wrote:

When? I just bought premium, because I thought running was only in premium version 😞 How to become a tester?

Unfortunately applications for the beta are closed. You can see the official thread here.

But don't worry, running is currenty rolling out to those on the stable build at the moment so should appear soon; testing is underway for the tempo matching also and that should be rolling out once verifed as working across multiple devices.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I can see the feature already, and I'm not in the Beta program. Even on the free tier I could see and use it, but now I've "paid" for premium (30 days free for now...).

Anyway, I've actually used it twice for running, and here are a few thoughts...

- You set the tempo you want in 5 bpm increments, and Spotify will play songs that match it. That's how I prefer it, so I'm happy, but I find this increment quite coarse, especially considering that you cannot set the "tolerance"... I guess it is +/- 2.5 bpm, but it would be nice to be able to set it (under advanced settings if you willl).

- I have set "cross-fade songs" to OFF under settings, but in running they still cross-fade quite a lot. Again, it would be very useful to be able to set this to one's liking!

- This is the most annoying: I would expect the Running feature to work very much like the "radio stations", getting random songs based on some "starting point" (I particularly like starting a Radio from my "Liked from Radio" playlist), but pre-selecting the songs to be around the target BPM. For Radio, this works perfectly, and I do get quite random songs and artists everytime I start the same Radio.

However, for Running, the only "Radio" (or playlist as you call it) that my personal taste can have some influence is the "Recommended for You", and, at least for me, this playlist is stuck for some time after I started it on only two artists! It is very far from a random selection of artists and songs from my personal play history everytime I start it!

I hope you can make the "Running" playlists more like the Radios, but simply limiting the songs to a BPM range!!!

Leo.

PS: I just opened Spotify on my mobile now to check some stuff, and Running has disappeared!!! WTF???

Just an FYI, if you google Spotify APK beta download you can find one of the most recent versions of the beta download for the Spotify running app regardless of signing up as a tester or not. I am sure that Spotify appreciates any additional feedback they can get regarding the app. A forewarning though, exercise extreme caution when attempting to download any files not verified by Google Play.

The running feature is available for some users now (me for example) in the official release (not beta). It allows you to select the pace and choose from prepared playlists or a playlist that's a variation of your own playlists. Pretty nice... now just le me voice control to favourite, ban or like songs 8-)

An interesting observation is that because they can play songs that are a certain BPM there must be some BPM information available for the songs. It would be great if that could be made public and searchable so you could create your own playlists. Using jog.fm to find tunes is a bit cumbersome.

Yeah, they released the function's "lite" version, where you set your own pace unlike iOS one where it detects your pace. So because they were 5 months late they decided to release a faulty product. This is even worse, utter failure as service and app development.

Oh this whining...just sad

As far as I am concerned this is the correct way to implement this function. You don't want the music to adopt to your pace. You want to adopt your pace to the music! The music is supposed to help you in keeping a certain pace, not the other way around. The reverse or both options might be interesting but personally this is just fine. 

I have a strange issue concerning spotify running feature as described below:

I am using spotify on an android device. Since the first time spotify running feature became available for android devices in my country, I haven't been able to make it shown in the menu. This only happens when I log in with my own premium account. However, when I login with someone else's account, or create a new free account that feature is available within the menu. I have checked whether a different selection in the settings might be the reason for that, but, although none of the settings are different than my friends spotify accounts, it is still the case. I have searched several times in the web and in the spotify support pages but I couldn't find a solution to this issue. I need help to understand and solve this issue. Thanks.

PS: I have updated spotify to release 3.9.0.965, I am using Android 5.1.1.

Most likely this i A/B testing. Not every feature is released to all users
at the same time.
I have the running feature and I am using version 3.8.0.800

I have two phones, both with my Spotify account, one has a T-mobile account, the other is sim-less. I do not have running on either phone. I'm thoroughly annoyed. Any answers? Is it still in "beta-testing"?

Here are my phones:

LGG3, T-mobile SIM, Android 5.0.1, Spotify v3.8.0.800

Cyanogen 1+, No SIM, Android 5.1.1, Spotify v3.9.0.965

Any clue as to what's the deal?

Suggested posts