Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app keeps using up all of my storage for cache on Android!

Spotify app keeps using up all of my storage for cache on Android!

Details:

--------

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Xiaomi Poco F3

Operating System

Android 12

My Question or Issue

So, I see that several other people have mentioned this issue on various forums, including here, over the years but I don't think a very clear solution is presented, or I don't think Spotify even cares a tiny bit to resolve this issue!

The issue is that the Spotify app uses up almost all the space I have on my phone for cache and I have no idea why! Something is clearly wrong. I downloaded about 4.6 GB of songs for offline playback and most listen to those songs and ocassionally listen to songs that I have not downloaded. However, the cache size just keeps growing day by day. Currently it is at 6.2 GB! In the past, before I cleared it the cache size went over 10 GB but I downloaded only about 4 GB of songs for offline playback then! I can guarantee to you that I did not stream 10 GB worth of songs that I did not download! I doubt I even listened to that much amount of songs in that time, and yet the cache size keeps increasing! I honestly don't use spotify a lot, just listen to a half an hour during commute and so on. So, based on my usage there is no way I could have even streamed a 1 GB of songs in the time that the app downloads 6 or 10 GB of cache! Also, very frequently when I just open the app, I see a Spotify notification that it is downloading "X out of Y songs (Z% complete)" though I did not download any new songs and I think all my playlists are up to date.

Please take a look at the attached screenshots from my phone showing the current amount of cache size, and yet another notification I just saw about downloading songs that I did not even ask right now.

Can someone please tell me how to make Spotify app behave properly and why it needs to download such an enormous amount of cache, which seems to be way more than my usage as well? I just want the cache size to be sensible like any other streaming app.

Screenshot_2023-01-21-23-32-53-814_com.spotify.music.jpg
Screenshot_2023-01-21-23-33-14-171_com.spotify.music.jpg
2 Replies

Also, I wanted to add that I tried clearing the cache many times, but it keeps growing afterwords anyway. And I also tried uninstalling and re-installing the app to see if the app behaves properly then and it still does this! This is just one of a several annoyances with this app, and I plan to ask some more questions regarding some other issues I have faced with the app! I hope that Spotify can fix these frustrating issues to make their app more enjoyable. Right now, I feel like I am fighting against a stubborn app that just refuses to behave properly and do stupid things like using up all my storage space and making me regularly clean cache ...

(or always playing an episode of a podcast that I accidentally played once everytime I finish an episode of some podcast I wanted to play... and there is no way to tell it that I am not interested in this other podcast, but that is a different story!)

A year later and I see Spotify hasn't done sh** about this. My "data" on Spotify keeps going up to 6GB in a matter of days. That's a ridiculous amount of storage to use without any explanation. I clear it and the app works just fine, SO WHY IS IT STORED IN THE FIRST PLACE?!? And I don't even care what it's for because again, the app functions perfectly when I clear it. This is one of the many many examples of programmers not finishing their jobs and letting customers do it for them while the programmers sip GD damn drinks in their luxury condos.

Suggested posts