Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify continues to play after removing earphones from phone - LG G4

Solved!

Spotify continues to play after removing earphones from phone - LG G4

Hi everyone, Don't know if others are having this issue. 

I got a new Android phone, LG G4, and for some reason whenever I'm playing Spotify either in the background or in the app, it continues to play after I remove the earphones from my phone.  Never had an issue with any previous Android phones or even on my computer.  I know it's not the G4 issue since other apps stop playing automatically just fine.  

Anyone else having this issue with Spotify?  Wondering if it's just a bug and it's just a quick update fix.  

Thanks!

188 Replies

@myshya,

Yes they replied yesterday:

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We're terribly sorry to hear you're having trouble with external playback on your Spotify app. We'll look into this for you.

This is a very rare issue, and you definitely have our full attention regarding this. We just need a little more information about what’s happening first.

Please let us know:

• Is this happening over WiFi? 3G/4G? Both?
  • How long you've had this issue.
  • What actions led to it happening. 
We also recommend that you perform a reinstallation of the app, as it might be the case that there are corrupted files in your device. Just follow the steps on this page and it'll guide you through the whole process.

We'll work together to get this sorted out. Looking forward to hearing from you!

All the best,

Brien

Spotify Customer Support

===========================

And reinstallaion of the app doesn't help. I even performed a factory reset, the problem remains.

-Jason H.

Wow they actually got back to you. Thanks!

I think it's an issue with the phone brand's os build or whatever the os is doing in the background since sometimes it actually works the way I want it to. Doubt it's a matter of data connection since I have offline for my entire library.

And yes reinstall didn't help me either. Had to wait again to re download my entire library 😢 first world problem...

Which email support did you use?

@Charlo852,

I reached Spotify through their support page:
https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/

On support page, click "Technical Issues" => "Other" => "I still need help."

Hey everyone,

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

Just so we can investigate this further, please confirm the following:

- Device
- Operating System Version
- Spotify Version
- Steps to reproduce it

If you haven't tried to reinstall yet, follow these steps and let us know if it helps. 

Thanks!

@Pricilla
- Device: LG G4 (H815)
- Spotify Ver: 4.0.0.800

- Problems: The app crashes during 3rd song; after removal of earphones it continues playing from where it stopped. Removing earphones doesn't stop the music any longer. Music keeps on playing during phone calls (stops while ringtone, continues when answered).
- Tried to fix: I'm not sure what you meant by that, but if that's about the reinstall... I cleaned all data from the inside of Spotify, then cleared data again with external app and at the end uninstalled Spotify. And of course installed again.

- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N9208)

- Android 5.1.1

- Spotify 4.0.0.800

- Steps to reproduce it:

1. Unpluging earphones or disconnecting Bluetooth A2DP headsets while Spotify still playing music, the music won't stop.

2. When someone calls, Spotify keeps playing music during the entire conversation.

Tried reinstallation and factory reset. None worked.

Thanks in advance.

@Priscilla

LG G4

Android 5.1 (V10-HKG)

Spotify version 4.0.0.800

Unplugging earphones while listening music does not automatically stop (probably similar issue with Bluetooth headphones). Also frequently spotify taskbar notification widget disappears but music is still playing

I have te same problem (music keeps playing) when i start a call in my car via bluetooth connection.

The music stops over the bluetooth connection, but starts playing on the phone (sounds like it playing on the 'ear speaker'.

I also have a problem that the spotify app crashes after playing a few songs.

There is no crash reporting screen but spotify stops.

This happends when i play (offline) music from my phone.

I can start spotify again and then i will happen again.

Most of the time spotify keeps playing after three re-starts.

- Device: LG G4
- Operating System Version: 5.1 (V10d-EUR-XX)
- Spotify Version: 4.0.0.800
- Steps to reproduce it:

connect the phone with my car.

Bluetooth problem:

Start a phone call.

The crasches:

Start spotify and play music.

After a while it stops by it self.

I hope the problem can be fixed soon, because there are very annoying.

Same problems with my LG G4: music continues over internal speaker after BT disconnects, Player randomly stops and was removed from memory (may be an wake lock problem).

Firmware V10d (EUR)

Latest Spotify APP, Premium from Deutsche Telekom, LTE Connection (also with downloaded titles).

I have the same exact problem verbatim as jasonhsutuna except I'm on a different phone

LG G4 t-mobile version
- Android 5.1
- Spotify 4.0.0.800
- Steps to reproduce it:
1. Unpluging earphones or disconnecting Bluetooth car radio while Spotify still playing music, the music won't stop.
2. When someone calls, Spotify keeps playing music during the entire conversation.

Yeah I have seen the same problem on my Galaxy note 5 running android 5.1.1.  Thought it might be an android issue, but it doesn't occur on any other apps.  Spotify please fix!

- Device: HTC One M9
- Operating System Version: Android 5.1
- Spotify Version: 4.0.0.800
- Steps to reproduce it: Just play music on Headphones, plug headphones out.

Expected result: Music stops.

Actual result: Music continues on speakers and annoys my coworkers.

Please at least add an option for this.

Guys, I've got a good news.

Spotify just replied my mail again. An update is on the way!

I am so looking forward to this!

Quote:

================

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Many thanks for reporting this. Our tech folks are currently looking into it. A fix should be on its way in an upcoming update!

If there are any further questions, please let us know!

================

That's great!

Hope it works out after the update.  

Any ETA for this new update. Galaxy Note 4 Using Lolipop 5.1.1 Spotify version 4.0.0.800. I get the same issues; music continues after removing headphones, pauses during ringtone but continues when I answer my phone.....

Installed the new version last night (4.1.0.868) but still the same problems.

It crashes after a while.

Didn't test the issue when the music doesn't stops playing.

I hope the next version is better!

Not great when the music still goes as I receive a call

I just did the update, too. No improvement.

There were no mention of bug fixes in the release notes

Same issue.

• Device: Nexus 5
  • Android version: 6.0
  • Spotify version: 4.1.0.868
  • Since: a few weeks, maybe 3.

To reproduce: unplug headset.

Some speculation:

Do we all use Bluetooth speakers?

Saw someone mention bluetooth - perhaps it's related to using spotify to play on devices over bluetooth, and incorrectly flagging "no longer being connected" or some similar thing. To disconnect, I just turn off the bluetooth speakers. This stops Spotify from playing in most cases (not every time!)

That one is my best bet. Would love to hear if others have all used bluetooth too.

Lastly - I the bluetooth device in question, in my case, is a JBL Charge 2, a white one 😉

OS relation

I don't see a pattern in what OS it was - but I think everyone who updated to Android 6.0 would have it if it's after a certain Spotify update, since I think Android forced updates of apps with the update of the OS.

Just thinking along of course.

For the record, this has really made me get angrier at my experience than it should've 🙂

Funny how you get so dependend on seemingly trivial quality of life freatures!

Suggested posts