Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes Android Auto when song title contains an emoji

Spotify crashes Android Auto when song title contains an emoji

Spotify Premium

US

Samsung Galaxy s10e

Android 11 and 12

Ever since Coldplay's album "Music of the Spheres" was released, when I try to listen to the album on Spotify with Android Auto, it inevitably ends up crashing Android Auto somehow. The songs will be playing just fine and then suddenly Android Auto shuts down and my car's display flashes between "Reading USB device..." and "Unable to read device" over and over again very quickly. (I am not touching the USB connection and it is firmly connected.)

After a lot of experimentation, I discovered that I have no problems at all if I don't even try to play the songs from the album which have an emoji as the title, so I believe it's something about those symbols that causes it to crash.

I have not verified if it's an issue with every emoji-titled song on the album, nor if this happens with songs from other artists (I don't have any such songs in my library and am not sure how I would go about finding any), but there have been times when I've been able to play Human Heart (the song with a heart emoji) without problems.

1 Reply

Hi @wyntrr_end!

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Android Auto has been known not to handle special characters / emojis very well, resulting in the app crashing as soon as it detects a song with such characters in the title. Hopefully it will be fixed soon as it can be pretty annoying.

The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with though. Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts