Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify doesn't seem to be working right now

Solved!

Spotify doesn't seem to be working right now

Tried Spotify in my car using Adrois Auto, worked fine, then tried the next day and received this message. laterrestarted my phone, worked again, now doesn't work again. You can hear the music though if you click the play button on the phone, but you cannot forward songs or increse decrease the volume. I don't understand???

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I had same issue on my Samsung Galaxy S8. Go to Settings > Device Maintenance > Battery > select Spotify and Save power. This will put Spotify to sleep. When you go back into Android Auto on your phone Spotify is there.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi there.
I had the same problem as all of you guys and read a ton of ideas and threads now. Finally i found out what the problem might be. At least it was with my car and phone (Seat Ibiza - Samsung S8). Turn off the bluetooth and the connect the USB cable. You can turn it on later if you want.

Hope that works for some of you.

Marked as solution

This problem is very annoying.
The issue happens after swiping the spotify window (open apps screen) away on a samsung device (I have a galaxy S8+), then attemping to play Spotify on Android Auto.
The issue has nothing to do with the car itself and can be reproduced by opening android auto on the phone. (without being connected to the car)
The only resolution I found is to either restart the phone or "force stop" Spotify in settings -> apps.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Spotify app.
2. Go to open apps screen and swipe away the Spotify window to close it. (Very common action to close windows on the phone throughout the day by either swiping individually or clicking the "close all" button)
3. Open Android Auto on the phone and attempt to play Spotify.
Result - The error "Spotify doesn't seem to be working at the moment" appears.

Very annoying workaround to resolve issue:
1. Restart phone
2. Go into settings, then apps, click on Spotify, and click "force stop".
Result - Next time you open android auto you are able to successfully play Spotify without the above error appearing, but the next time you close the Spotify window in the open apps screen the error will appear in Android Auto again.

Screenshot_20170724-161528.png
Screenshot_20170724-161522.png
Screenshot_20170724-161426.png
Marked as solution

Hi. I have Huawei P10. I managed to fix this by changing the battery settings. Go to Settings and Battery. Then Lock Screen Cleanup. Remove the tick for Spotify and go back to Android Auto. It starts working and no problem after that. Hope it helps. 

51 Replies

Having the same issue. Was fine yesterday. Didn't work this morning. Restarted phone. Worked. Then tried again and doesn't work. Pocket Casts and Play Music work fine.

I restarted my phone and it worked, also had USB unplugged before starting the car, Will see what happens next time.

Me too! It was working fine until last update, now it's unclear why sometimes the app stops to work.

Well, according to Spotify, they have determined that this is happening ONLY IN MY CAR! Intersting! But if I restart my phone, it always works, what a PIA!

Just curious... Is your car a Honda Civic Hatchback? This started happening to me yesterday and it's so frustrating! Haven't tried restarting my phone but will do that today before I leave work. 

No, it is not

I drive a Honda Accord Touring. 

Wonder if it's a Honda issue? Spotify works great at home and with my bluetooth speakers/headphones. 

Google Play music and Pocket Casts are still working on Android Auto though. 

I have a month old volkswagen golf and the same issue, and is not infotainment fault: you can also experience the same issue using the android auto app directly from the phone.

This is not solved!
Steps to reproduce the bug:
1 Force kill spotify from the task manager.
2 start android auto (even on the phone)
3 open spotify and start a song
4 quit android auto
5 open spotify app on the phone
6 normally close spotify from recent/overview menu
7 if you now open android auto, spotify will not be available until you force quit/restart the device

I've got a Chevy Volt 16' - Same issue. Though it definately happens with Android Auto's Phone mode, there was probably an update that Spotify did on the backend that broke connectivity. So far it seems restarts/clearning cache/removing & re-installing the App works. But I don't want to have to do this all the time, looks like I'll cancel Premium until they figure this out.

I too am now having the same issues as everyone else, starting last week, I keep getting the msg that Spotify don't seem to be working. I have to completely shut off my phone & turn it back on every time I get in the car, even the simple restarting don't make it work. If everyone started having this issue last week & spotify is the only app affected, seems like a new update had to have taken place to break it. I have a Samsung S6 & drive a Camry w/ the NEX Sys. If Spotify doesnt fix this soon, I'm cancelling my subscription & will find an alternative to Spotify to use instead.

this isnt really a solution.. just a workaround.

I don't have to clear the cache, but I do have to remove the USB cable, completely power down my phone, turn it back on, and then connect the cable back EVERY TIME I GET IN MY CAR NOW! This really sucks.

All, after trying all the troubleshooting tips in this forum, I still couldn't get a permanent fix. Yesterday, I decided to check my Samsung S6 for updates. Some were found, so I downloaded them. Today, I've been in and out of my car all day and not one time has Spotify stopped working. Let me know if anyone else has tried this/whether or not it was effective for you.

I recently switched phones (not because of this issue but because my Note 5 battery was horrible) and my issue has been resolved. 

I am not sure if it is something to do with Samsung itself, Spotify, Android Auto, or Honda (accord), but when I started using my Pixel XL, the issue is gone. Works perfectly fine. 

I am not saying get a new phone as this shouldn't even be happening to begin with, but it may help pinpoint what is causing the problem. I've seen Samsung thrown around a few times in here so could be something on their end?

tldr; went from Note 5 to Pixel XL, works like a charm. 

Had exactly the same issue intermittently with my Samsung S6 and my Skoda Oct aviation VRS. Reinstalling spotify app was only failsafe fix for me. Sort it out Spotify!

Same behavior (have to restart Samsung Galaxy S6 for Spotify to work) on an Audi A4 with Android Auto. Got tired and switched to Pandora. Works flawlessly. No more fiddling with the phone during what little time morning commute affords me to psyche myself up for the workday with my favorite jams.

I'm having the same issue with my S8+.

Same problem here. Samsung S7 Edge "Spotify Doesn't Seem to be Working Right Now"

Suggested posts