Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for Android - playlist folders not supported

Solved!

Spotify for Android - playlist folders not supported

iPhone owners have been able to use folders to organise Spotify playlists for over 7 months now.  What is the delay for the Android version?  Folders are an essential part of the user experience and should be consistent across all operating systems, so why are paying Android customers and the worlds fastest growing mobile platform being ignored?

I had cancelled my Spotify Premium subscription for this very reason, as I found it totally impractical to scroll through endless playlists that are usually neatly organised in folders in the desktop version. 

Spotify please, some news on this front would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I quit my premium service today and gave as reasons the lack of folders for playlists.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Yes, please! I've been a loyal supporter of Spotify, but they really need to step up their game in supporting development for folders in Android!

Marked as solution

Hey guys,

Just to let you know playlist folders for Android are in the works, and they should be included in the brand new app.

If you haven't tried it out already, a Preview version of the new app is available here. Playlist folders currently aren't implemented yet, but as the site says  - they'll be in place shortly.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Marked as solution

Playlist folders will be available in Android soon. Keep an eye on the Spotify blog. 🙂

28 Replies

I concur. This is also a feature I have been waiting for. It seems most all Android development has stopped.

This should be absolutely straighforward to implement. All the functionality is already described for other platforms, it just needs to be converted to Android code. I've no idea why we're still waiting but my Premium account is starting to look like bad value for money.

Not only the iphone, but also, in terms of userbase, the marginally existent Windows Phone platform has folder support in its Spotify application. One would assume that the fastest growing platform would be supported in the most active manner possible. Android IS the fastest growing platform.

So, what's up? Is Spotify being extremely lazy or arrogant on this point? Knowing there's not much competition for them in many areas of the world where they provide their service one tends to say arrogant.

With more than 80 playlists the Android app is hardly usable, in my experience. So please add this feature ASAP.

A week has gone by and guess what?  Not a word from Spotify!  What a surprise.  Like with Get Satisfaction, the company seems to set up these "support" forums so paying customers can basically support themselves. Nice. 

On the other hand, there are nowhere near enough of us complaining about this problem, this should be at the top of the forum every day if Spotify are even going to take any notice, let alone do something about it. 

Short of mass cancellation to the Premium service, which I can't see happening, the only other option I can think of is to find a well known, high traffic Android user (e.g. journalist or celebrity) who can Tweet or blog a wake-up call for Spotify.  Thoughts?

Marked as solution

I quit my premium service today and gave as reasons the lack of folders for playlists.

Marked as solution

Yes, please! I've been a loyal supporter of Spotify, but they really need to step up their game in supporting development for folders in Android!

Still waiting for this most basic of basic 'features' (if you can call it a feature even).

Seriously how hard can it be to add subfolder support into the code ??

(It's lacking from the Tivo app also making that completely unwieldy)

Marked as solution

Hey guys,

Just to let you know playlist folders for Android are in the works, and they should be included in the brand new app.

If you haven't tried it out already, a Preview version of the new app is available here. Playlist folders currently aren't implemented yet, but as the site says  - they'll be in place shortly.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Any news when the new Android app will be available?

Wow, the new beta app is gorgeous, and it runs way smoother on my clunky LG Optimus V.

I was worried about Spotify's support for Android, but not anymore.

The search results and artist browser are very fast - a huge improvement.

I'm overall blown away by this app.  Once folders and other features are added, this app will be amazing.

Hallelujia! Some progress at last.  I will however wait until the official new version is released, so I can test it with the folders working, as I have too many playlists and I would spend much of the testing time scrolling.

Thank you for the update Richard, much appreciated.  Please let us know when the folders feature is added.

Almost into june and this has not been implemented. And when it is are we supposed to reorganize 555000 albums from scratch? This should have been an emergency for a patch file.
Marked as solution

Playlist folders will be available in Android soon. Keep an eye on the Spotify blog. 🙂

It's been confirmed it will be in the official Play store release of the new version of the app. When that will make an appearance is anyone's guess.

If you have 55000 albums in playlists, then you have too much time on your hands. But if you have them in folders already in the desktop app then doubtless the same structure will sync across to your Android phone once we get the new app version
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

"It's been confirmed it will be in the official Play store release of the new version of the app. When that will make an appearance is anyone's guess."
pretty much what the guy above you said. thanks for the "guess" though very helpful.

"If you have 55000 albums in playlists, then you have too much time on your hands."
it was an exaggerated scenario. even if i did though, it has zilch to do with you.
"doubtless the same structure will sync across to your Android phone once we get the new app version"
Another surmisation. 

hpguru - thanks for the info mate.

Cool.

What's uncool is that today is 20th of August 2012 and the play folders feature is not yet present in Spotify for Android.

And the blog is full of info not related to development.

I hate when I want to implement a cool, customer-requested feature and my boss says there's no budget for it.

Hi dashdash. The version of the app in the play store supports playlist folders ... It will sync folders you create in the desktop app although you can't create them from the mobile app
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Suggested posts