Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify needs a "offline only on 3G option"

Spotify needs a "offline only on 3G option"

When checking phone bills I just realised my son had gone well over his data limit (costing £10-£15 extra) this month by accidentally leaving spotify online. Both he and I have a spotify premium subscription and love the service, but also tend to replicate favourite tracks to our mobiles (whilst streaming "live" on PC or when home)

Whilst the mobile android app allows quality for download/streaming to be set, it doesnt' allow distinguishing between wifi and 3G. It has a "download over 2G/3G" option, but this doesn't prevent streaming

Rather than have to remember to keep toggling on/offline we need to be able to configure spotify to work the way we want - so if on wifi allow access to all networked playlists etc. Whilst on mobile only allow plays (optionall) for locally saved tracks.

i would still like scrobbles to be recorded though -- both to spotify/facebook and to lastfm. This doesn't seem to happen.

As a workaround I've tried setting "disable background data" in ICSs preferences for spotify which may go some way to preventing this expensive accident we just had.

Further more, if completely offline/service inaccessible, scrobbles should still be queued

1 Reply

Definitely some improvements could be made.

Also be aware that the app seems to often use data even while listening to downloaded playlists unless its in offline mode: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Android-app-using-too-much-data-Post-details-here/td-...
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Suggested posts