Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify randomly pauses the music.

Solved!

Spotify randomly pauses the music.

Hi,

I've been using Spotify on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus for a long time, but I've always had an issuse with Spotify randomly pauses the music, and I have to restart the song.

This has been a problem since Android 4.0.2 up to 4.1.1 Jelly bean.

Is this something Spotify is aware off?

Please fix this, I'm tired of this being a problem, because I'm actually paying for this service.

I'm sure this is something I'm not alone with.

Thanks 

Atle

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Fix Fix Fix
I've now had Spotify for a whole day and a half, and it worked fine for the first half day, then when in my car it started to pause all the time even tho I had download the music I was listening to. I found when I disconnected the aux cable it no longer paused, and as soon as I reconnect it started up again. After a little bit of testing with it today I have found that if I have the volume on full and connected to my car it pauses, but if I turn the volume on my phone down to around 3 quarter it fixes the pause problem.
Hope this helps some of you having the same problem.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I tried everything the thread and the support line said and found the only solution was to do a factory reset on my phone. Its very annoying but at least it works.

View solution in original post

59 Replies

@Kingcanute wrote:

Hi,

I've been using Spotify on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus for a long time, but I've always had an issuse with Spotify randomly pauses the music, and I have to restart the song.

This has been a problem since Android 4.0.2 up to 4.1.1 Jelly bean.

Is this something Spotify is aware off?

Please fix this, I'm tired of this being a problem, because I'm actually paying for this service.

I'm sure this is something I'm not alone with.

Thanks 

Atle

I don't get this error, but I do get an error that Spotify just doesn't output any sound at all 😞

Have you installed the latest update to Spotify from the Google Play store?

If so, you might want to try changing the streaming quality over on the Settings page as well.

Airhorn Enthusiast

Yes I do have the latest version of Spotify.

This random pause happens in offline playmode, not sure if it's a problem in online mode, since I never use online mode to play when in my car. I only use online mode to sync my playlist.

Not sure if streaming quality will have anything to say in offline mode.

Does this happen when you're on wifi, or cellular data, or both?

This only happens to me on wifi when I haven't downloaded the album/playlist locally to my phone.

Something with how Spotify uses wifi when the screen is off.

dcdttu - This seems to happen in offline mode. I never use online mode when listening to music on my phone.

I experience the same problem in all three previous Spotify Android Apps on 2.3.4 (Defy+) in Ofline Mode. It's very annoying, because I always have to pull out my mobile, unlock screen and restart playback. I have to say (again and again), that the Android App still has serious bugs that haven't been fixed yet. Spotify is useless for me, if I have to buy the music anyways just because I can't listen to my Spotify library on my mobile. 

@Kingcanute wrote:

dcdttu - This seems to happen in offline mode. I never use online mode when listening to music on my phone.

Gotcha.  Odd.  Wonder why mine doesn't have that issue (on Evo or Nexus) and others do?  Is it a setting in Android?  The way some phones go to sleep?

I am having a similar problem.

Spotify streams fine over wifi or cellular when I play the music through the speakers... but when I plug in head phones... any head phones and try to listen it will play for a few second and then pause itself. 

This is the only app that has a problem doing this... not pandora/rdio/google music etc so I know it isn't my head phone port.

REally annoying considering I just decided to cancel my zune pass and get a premium account for my android galaxy nexus.

dcdttu, my phone is never at sleep when this happens, my phone is always awake when I play music in my car.

phantasytbm

Good to hear I'm not alone with this problem Smiley Happy

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Sprint) here. After being frustrated that the "Free" version wouldn't stream properly I bit the bullet and shelled out for the premium convincing myself that being a paying member would make things better.  WRONG.

Same problem. Offline playlists I've already downloaded pause and don't restart without me manually pressing play (even with the screen not dimming/turning off), only to pause mere seconds later AGAIN. Absolutely RIDICULOUS for a paid subscription app. I'm using the latest version available on the Google Play store.

This makes the app completely worthless. There's no point in my continuing my membership if the core thing Spotify is SUPPOSED to do fails. There is no point in my trying this app and service again in the future. You have permanently lost a customer. I'll be trying Rdio and going back to Subsonic www.subsonic.org now thank you very much.

Complete idiots running this ship. A flaw this serious should be fixed within HOURS.

PS: For the record I think integrating with Facebook is a really dumb idea. At least focusing on that before fixing problems like this is stupid. I deleted my Facebook account over a month ago because it's essentially a narcissistic waste of time. I don't need 200+ "friends" I barely speak to or remember and I don't want to post (or read posts about) random garbage. I might as well get a megaphone and walk down the street randomly announcing my activities - it's the same thing.

Spotify developers, do you read this?

Please make this a priority 1, I'm fed up with not being able to enjoy the music, without having these issues, it's so anoying when driving a car, and when driving a car you shouldn't need to touch the phone, just listen to the music without an random pause, so that we keep other drivers safe on the road Smiley Happy

Figured it out. I started playing it on my mobile phone (galaxy nexus) while sitting in my 4 yr. old daughters room. I wanted to pull up a song for her and play it. She bested me and decided to show me what song SHE wanted to play on her tablet (an HP Touchpad I put Android on). She opened Spotify and started playing a song of her own. Not noticing yet that she was doing this I was fighting with my phone yet again randomly pausing on its own. It was really pissing me off now! Then I heard her, "Hey, it stopped!" I looked up and saw her pressing play/pause. Every time she pressed play on the tablet, it paused on my phone. Everytime I pressed play on my phone, it paused on her tablet.

This explains the simultaneous headache my wife and I both had earlier this morning. I was on my way to hockey listening to my phone via bluetooh in the car. My wife still at home, was attempting to play some music for my daughter on the HP Touchpad running Android. Neither of us mentioned this frustration to each other in the past nor today. Had we done so we might have figured it out sooner. It took my daughter doing her own thing in front of me to get a clue. 

What really helped stump me was that I was certain somewhere that I read Spotify would allow you to run the same account on up to 5 devices - AND that I had previously been playing it simultaneously on two devices WITHOUT all this "auto pausing" caRp taking place. What's worse is that the music I was attempting to play on my Galaxy Nexus was an "offline/downloaded" playlist. My daughter was attempting to stream something (probably in cache) but not downloaded.  

What an idiotic limitation... I'm still canceling my account because this is BS.

The Spotify account is a personal license to listen to their content. You can install and run the software on as many devices as you like, and you can download for offline listening on up to three devices. But you can only stream or listen while online on one device at a time.

If your phone had been in offline mode you would have been fine when your daughter started playing - however that's still technically over and above the terms of what you are paying for/were
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

rwt2777 - It still dosen't explain my problem, since I'm the only one using my account, unless someone hacked me Smiley Surprised

Change ur account password and see. It should disable someone else if you do that.

As for the license terms I still call lame on it. $10 a month is almost as much as basic cable! I'm heading back to subsonic. Sure I have to leave a computer on at home for it but I do that anyway and at least with such sonic I can steam music AND MOVIES from my collection.

Now... time to go hunt for the cached copy of my offline playlists on my rooted Droid. 😛

It has nothing to do with that for me as my account is only 5 days old. It only happens certain times on the phone and only certain headphones do it. I can't listen to music in my car or my fiances car but I can at the gym. 

Did anyone solve this problem? I installed on my HTC Sensation the old "black" version and it works great. I bought Samsung Galaxy 3, installed the latest version and that problem with pausing is very annoying. Still the same issue as each other here. In offline mode it pauses so it can´t be my internet connection. 

This has started happening very frequently on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, but I've used Spotify for many years on Nokias, Blackberrys, Samsung Galaxy Tabs. Sony Xperia and never previously suffered this problem.

I do wonder whether it is a hardware to software problem...  as an experiment, if you attach headphones to your Mobile device and play Spotify then remove the headphones you'll notice the music Pauses.  I wonder if the disconnect is being wrongly detected by Spotify or if Android is causing the signal that Spotify thinks is a headphone disconnect to occur, then pausing the music.

Using Spotify on my Galaxy Note 2 with both headphones and Bluetooth Stereo headphones this random pausing happens.

Now admititly I do use Spotify in a number of different places, including on my Squeezeboxes at home, so if the Spotify App did something at home unexpectantly that could explain the pause....  But I've used Spotify on my Desktop for hours at a time, or other mobile devices & tablets and never ever experienced lots of unexplained pausing

Only with my Galaxy Note 2 running Jelly Bean 4.1.2 has this ever happened.

Suggested posts