Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Samsung 20fe

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Every time I restart Spotify "helpfully" pops up on my phone reminding me of the last song I happened to be listening to.

This may come as a terrible shock to you but my phone is NOT primarily a device for listening to Spotify. I only want Spotify to run when I want to listen to music. Not a second sooner.

Of course I have been googling myself silly trying to find ways to stop Spotify from starting automatically when my phone starts, but the instructions are either out of date or not applicable to my phone. Some mention "advanced settings" that I am unable to locate on the instance of Spotify on my phone.

See the attachment. That's what I'm faced with when my phone restarts.

Obviously I could Force Stop Spotify. But that's a blunt instrument in response to something you should be able to make available to me as a default setting.

Screenshot_20210918-135914_One UI Home.jpg
23 Replies

Hey there! Thanks for asking.

These days almost all Apps restart in the background without us knowing and there is not a dedicated option to stop that in most ROMS. Still you can do a clean install* of the App and it should fix it. If it still does not work then check your Optimization settings and make sure Spotify is in the list which makes sure that the App does not use resources when it is not supposed to.

I also found a reddit thread for you, check it here as it might help too.

Throw a like my way or choose this as a solution if I helped!

*clean install means going in App info and clearing the data, then re installing it from the store

AmayySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Alas, I tried everything you suggested and still, every time I restart my phone that *bleep*in' widget pops up again. MAKE IT STAHP

Hey there @rozeboosje!

Thanks for giving the steps that @Amayy has recommended a try.

If you still experience this, it might be caused by an issue with your device's cache. If you have an SD card in your phone, we'd recommend making sure it's formatted as external storage and that you check it for errors

It's a also a good idea to clean the app's cache from the Spotify settings and from the Android settings as well.

If that doesn't do it for you, we'd suggest reaching out to our support team that can remove the saved offline devices attached to your account.

We'll be on the lookout for your update. Give us a shout if you have any further questions.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

After suffering months with this issue. Here it is my resolution:

1. Spofity app uninstalled.

2. Switch to another music app.

3. Problem solved!!!!!

I hope this post helps you.

Thx.

This specific issue didn't bother me enough to take such a drastic step ... but *this* one did:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Option-to-have-a-true-shuffle/idc-p/536240...

Happy Amazon Music customer now

I was a paying Spotify customer, but I expect to have reasonable concerns taken seriously. Especially with something as basic as a shuffle. Go to that link, read it, and weep.

I'm also annoyed by the bootup issue.

It happens on 3 different Samsung devices - 2 phones: A Galaxy A51, Galaxy S21+ 5G and a Galaxy Tab S7FE. All devices run the most recent firmware and Spotify app.

I followed your advices. Deleting the cache and reinstalling the Spotify app did not fix the issue.

Spotify starts playing the last song everytime I restart the phone.

Please take your complaints serious. I will not tolerate this lousy customer support any longer.

I have the same problem on a Samsung s20fe. I have no bixby routines enabled, and no smart connect events are enabled.

I have the same issue. on my Samsung S10+ . absolutely sick of it. 

Hi everyone. 

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community and welcome.

In this case, we recommend that you follow these steps:

1. Open the phone's 'Settings' menu.
  2. Tap on 'Apps' setting to open it.
  3. Scroll to find 'Spotify' and tap.
  4. Then find the 'Battery' setting.
  5. Disable 'Allow Background Activity.

Once you do this, check if you have the Samsung Device Care app installed (Settings > Device Care). If so, make sure that its settings are the same as the ones you've changed. 

Lastly, restart your device and let us know if the issue persists. 

We'll stay tuned. 

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Hye I'm using samsung. I manage to solve this problem. 

Go to settings. Then go to battery and device care. 

Tap on battery. Tap on background usage limit. Tap on deep sleeping apps. Then add Spotify. I hope this can fix our problem. 

Hey @Fredys3,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We're glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. We appreciate the time you took following the process and sharing what works for you. Hopefully, this tip will fix the issue for other users too.

In case you need anything else, remember that we're just a post away.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Kindly try this, it worked for me

Make sure both USB Debugging and USB Debugging (Security Settings) are turned on in Developer Options.

• Connect your device via ADB and type this command: adb shell settings put secure qs_media_resumption 0

Just also began noticing this within the past few days, on top of the fact that it sporadically auto-plays through my phone speaker after disengaging from Android Auto.

You can't be serious that this million dollar, probably billion dollar company can't make this feature stop?! That's ridiculous and unexceptable! 

The best answer the forum states is to uninstall the Spotify and use another application? That's a horrible solution and horrible workout.

Disable the "Spotify Connect In Background" setting. It doesn't start in the background and I can still listen to Spotify in the background as long as I don't kill it.

I will gove it a try.

Hey @NJMike,

Eager to hear the results so we can share the solution with more users.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator

It did not fix the bug; my Spotify still continues to automatically resume playing through my phone speaker after I turned off my car to get out.

This did not fix it for me.

Suggested posts