Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify struggles to detect my SD card

Spotify struggles to detect my SD card

Hi,

I've been trying to get Spotify to work on my phone but it seems to struggle to see my SD card. After loggingin in, the app states that there isn't enough space on my device. I then click on one of my playlists and ask for it to be downloaded. It then downloads the playlist on to my SD card. I can see this because i can see my SD card fill up. Set to either high or extreme quality downloads. If i stop the Spotify app in any shape or form (Stop app, shutdown, restart, battery runs out), it then logs me out. Once i log back in to the app, it tells me me that there isn't enough space on my device again. If i filter the playlists to 'available offline only', it doesn't show any songs or any playlists. If i then click download on the playlists again, they all 'download' again. It takes a while for the entire playlists to show as being downloaded again -  so i don't know if they're being downloaded again or it just taking a while for the app to verify the song.

I've tried clearing any data/cache of the app (both within the app and from within the Androids settings menu), uninstalling it, formating the SD card, restart, and reinstatlling the app but it continues to occurr.

Device - HTC Wildfire S

Android version - Gingerbread V2.3.5

Spotify version - V1.5.0739

Internal storage - 500MB - 70MB free. (Unable to free anymore space)

External storage - 32GB - 29GB free

Thank

11 Replies

Hi, the version of the Spotify app you are using is newer and incompatible with Android 2.3.5. You should download and install 1.2.0.534. Hopefully this will resolve your issues.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I have two phones that i use. I read the version that is on my S3, assuming that the same version would be on the Wildfire S. Obviously i've now learnt otherwise.

On the Wildfire S is the latest version of the app that it can find on the Play store. So i can only assume that it's the same version that you stated.

Can you double check?

I hate to say it, but the next and best option would be a factory reset of the device. It's possibly some junk and left-over files that are causing some issues. Personally I like to do a full wipe every so often as it refreshes the phone, but I appreciate it can take a couple of hours to restore everything back.

Android Troubleshooting:

I'll double check the version. 

I've already tried refreshing the phone/wiping it. The Wildfire S is my old phone now that i had as a spare. Now i've gone premium with Spotify, i thought it would be nice to use it as a music player whilst driving. The only real thing that i benefit from the premium membership. So the phone was already refreshed/wiped before i tried installing Spotify the first time. The phone has been refreshed/wiped again, just in case something didn't setup correctly the first time i did it, but it appears that isn't the case.

Can you try a different SD card?

Android Troubleshooting:

So it turns out that i had bought a dodgy SD card. I put in a different SD card and it seems to recognise and store songs fine. Only issue now is that when i play songs offline, the first few seconds crackles. Is this an SD card storage issue or a Spotify issue? I don't know yet. I'm going to attempt to play some songs via an online connection within the next few days to see.

Great stuff. Let me know how you get on. Glad you're at least able to get it working now

Android Troubleshooting:

For some reason, every track still crackles during playback, even with the new SD card. I've found that it doesn't crackle all the time, just random moments and it occurrs in basically every song.

I find this very annoying! It happens during playback via streaming and via songs stored offline.

To me it sounds like Spotify is attempting to play the song before it's loaded/buffered enough.

What can i do to solve this?

What quality setting are you streaming at? Try changing to 'High' or 'Extreme' and see if it still happens.

Also does this happen on offline tracks or just those being streamed?

Android Troubleshooting:

I've just tried this. I still get the same issue. 

Previous to your last post, i had stream as high and offline as extreme.

This happens both offline and streamed. 

When i get time, i'll make a recording of what my phone is producing, so there is more clarity as to what types of crackles i can hear.

My enquiry in the other topic is trying to find a solution. So, i don't know about a particular version. Just one where my current issue isn't present. 

Is this on the Wildfire or the Samsung? Is it happening on other players also?

If it's only Spotify doing this I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here.

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts