Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't load on Galaxy S5

Spotify won't load on Galaxy S5

Hello. I can't get Spotify to load anymore. I just keep getting a dialog box saying 'Spotify has had to close'. I'm a premium member and the service has been great up until now. I have tried clearing the cache, uninstalling and re-installing the app and all the standard stuff. I can't get a reply from Spotify direct. Can anyone suggest anything? Thank you
36 Replies

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

I will notify our Android Expert, @Daniel for you.

Hi there and welcome to Spotify. Just as an FYI - I've moved this thread form the webplayer forum over to Android help.

OK, so you have a new S5 and let me guess; the SD card is from an old phone and wasn't wiped before putting it into the S5? This is a common issue, and even more so because of the way Android 4.4.x handles access to SD Card data.

Please read the guide linked below for details on getting a completely clean install of the Spotify app. This should be the first step and can help resolve issues such as:

- Black screen on startup
- Offline data not storing on SD card
- Random crashes or FC's
- Track degradation or skipping
- Playlists and tracks no longer available

[GUIDE] First step of troubleshooting - Clean Install

Note that this guide contains additional steps and checks which aren't covered in the main troubleshooting thread.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

No actually, I bought a Samsung SD card when I got the phone, so it wasn't used in my previous phone. Also, I wasn't a premium member until I got the new phone. I did wipe and re-format the card last week after reading a guide like yours online, but the same error keeps occurring.

OK, that is odd then. Do you have any apps which may conflict installed such as a headset control (like JAYS headset control, or another media player)?

Android Troubleshooting:

No, just the standard music player that was on the phone and no headset control apps. The only other thing I have downloaded that involves sound and headphones is BBC iPlayer radio.
It's frustrating. I'm considering backing-up the phone and doing a factory reset and trying again - would it be worth doing this?

I hate to say it as I know it's a pain to go through, but this is probably the next step of the troubleshooting path.

Sorry and good luck!

Android Troubleshooting:

No problem. I'm also going to invest in a new SD card. What would you recommend? I can go up to 64gb yes? There are Samsung Pro cards on Amazon, would that be suitable for Spotify?

I use a SanDisk class 10 64GB card. I've never had any issues with SanDisk cards, although Samsung ones should also be pretty stable.

Android Troubleshooting:

You are not alone. I am having the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Spotify has always worked for me up until I had to force stop it one day because the UI stopped working, and ever since then even with a clean install I get the "Unfortunately, Spotify has stopped" dialog any time I try to open the app. Please let me know if a factory reset works for you!

@mithryanna wrote:

You are not alone. I am having the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Spotify has always worked for me up until I had to force stop it one day because the UI stopped working, and ever since then even with a clean install I get the "Unfortunately, Spotify has stopped" dialog any time I try to open the app. Please let me know if a factory reset works for you!

Another user had similar issues which were caused by having a cache cleaner installed which was a) cleaning the Spotify cache and causing the errors and b) was also killing the Spotify process.

Can you see if you have any cache or task managers installed and either disable them or uninstall them?

Android Troubleshooting:

@Daniel wrote:

@mithryanna wrote:

Another user had similar issues which were caused by having a cache cleaner installed which was a) cleaning the Spotify cache and causing the errors and b) was also killing the Spotify process.

Can you see if you have any cache or task managers installed and either disable them or uninstall them?

No cache managers or task managers other than the default. I received an update for my phone the other day and it fixed Spotify enough for me to log in before the dialogs started up again. I've given up using Spotify on my phone and have started carrying around my ipad, which is less than ideal but works for now.

I have the same problem since i bought my new galaxy s5 spotify stop working i can log in ane then the dialog appear. I dont have SD card so i really dont know what the problem is

I have the same issue. Im currently on premium. I have no sd card and no cache cleaner. Ive tried resolving the issue by reinstalling, restarting the device, and logging in from a different account, but no luck. Everything was working fine until the latest update. This appears to be a problem excusive for galaxies s5. I checked the reviews on google play for the latest version and devices as mine and all seem to have the same problem.

Its quite sad, since im going on a roadtrip soon and i was hoping to have spotify available for tomorrow. Im hoping his issue is resolved soon.

Well, when I had the issue it was actually on an S4, not an S5. Sadly, I
never found a solution, either. I had to wait until I upgraded my phone to
an S6; no troubles there yet.

Hey, I have the same problem with my Galaxy S5, i don't have SD Card... I have tried Uninstalling and re installing the app, i reset the phone to factory data, but the problem continues. Since the last update (5 – Oct – 2015) the app not working. Anyone solve this problem ? thank's

Same. Seems to be a problem in the update.

This is exactly my problem. After the app update it stoped working on my S5. PLEASEEE HELP!! 

I'm having the exact same problem since earlier this week. Is there some update for the s5 that I'm missing? I've tried unintelligible ad resetting but no joy yet. Anyone had any luck?

*un-installing and resetting

Suggested posts