Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't stay running when idle

Solved!

Spotify won't stay running when idle

On my Galaxy S4, Spotify doesn't resume playing music from my playlist (set to random playback) after it has been left idle for a while. Basically, the application is removed from the active memory and I have to re-launch the app, re-select the playlist and then select shuffle play again.

Is there a way to keep Spotify running persistently? Does this have anything to do with the fact that I usually have it running in off-line mode?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I agree that the OS is killing it, but many other apps resume where you left off when you launch them again. I guess a solution would be a way to manually keep it running? Wonder if there is an app for that?!?!?

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Unfortunately I think it is down to the operating system, all modern smart phones kill apps which aren't currently in use to save battery.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

I agree that the OS is killing it, but many other apps resume where you left off when you launch them again. I guess a solution would be a way to manually keep it running? Wonder if there is an app for that?!?!?

I've noticed in the recent updates that whenever I re-open the application after a few hours that I get the message "song not available" and it loses it's place in the playlist, I can re-start it but it's getting on my nerves.

@littlebeagle - I haven't been using my android device a huge amount lately, but it does sound like the application state isn't being saved correctly when it gets killed in the background.

Do you have any task killing apps running?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Peter,

I have no task killer running. The OS is Android 4.2.2 with Samsung's stock Touch Wiz on top (yuck). 

But yes, it does seem that the application state is not being properly saved. I suspect this is more on Spotify's end than the OS as I don't have this issue with any other frequently used app.

@Peter I've got clean master, so I put spotify into the ignore list so it doesn't touch it, no difference unfortunately.

Me three

I have the same problem. At work I have to pause the music frequently and when I come back I always have to restart and reselect to get going again. Is there such thing as a button you can click from home to just start playing your favorite songs. It gets anoying having to navigate into the app constantly.

Suggested posts