Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't sync local files

Solved!

Spotify won't sync local files

When I download my playlist to my android (Sony Experia ST27i) all my local files are unplayable. They do appear on the phone, but when I try to play them it says ''the song is not available''.
One more thing: when I am on the computer, my phone won't show under ''devices''. 
I have followed every instruction but nothing works...
Please help!

46 Replies

Thanks for the insight...

Thanks for the reply. I should add, I am running spotify also on an iPhone 4 and the syncing with this computer on this network with this router, etc, has never had any problems. Hope this helps. 

@Daniel wrote:

@mediocrites wrote:

UPDATE: 

I visited family in another state with a different ISP, and while I was there, without me knowing, the files on my laptop synced to the phone without me having to try any further. Now that I'm back at home it's not working again but to ME this would suggest something other than the applications themselves. I don't know what else to change but thought you'd definitely be interested to know about this. There is hope. 

Thanks. 

I would suggest this is more to do with your router... possibly a firewall permission on your router that's blocking the connection. Or maybe your router does not have UPnP enabled.

Marked as solution

Problem solved: bought new router. 

New router is a netgear wnr2000 v 5. Old router was, well, old; I wound up irreparably disabling it while trying to fix this. 

Hey guys, I'm having the same problem of my local files not syncing to my iPhone.  Upon reading the thread noticed I wasn't having the same problem; my device does show under 'Devices'.  I made another playlist and was able to sync some of my local files there (weird, I know) but my primary playlist still wasn't registering same said files.  Now I just updated my iPhone's software to its latest version so not sure if that's the problem but I'm really out of ideas, lol.  Has anyone else with iOS 8.1.2 been having this same issue?

EDIT:  Just noticed this was Android.  Apologies.  *moves to Help for iOS* lol

This problem happened to me whenever I stored a local file in more than one playlist that was Available Offline. After removing the track from all other playlists and storing it in a single playlist marked as Available Offline, the file finally synced to my phone. 

I'd say this is definitely a bug, but for now this work-around works for me.

Ok. Has there been an update on this? I followed the steps in the app. Running Spotify on my desktop as admin, added firewall rules to allow Spotify, moved all local files to a separate playlist called available offline, no dice

I am on Nexus 5, with 5.1.1 which is the latest and the latest update of Spotify.

Other than changing my router, please tell me there is a solution?

I have yet to figure this out as well, and have tried all of the BS firewall jump roping. This remains my biggest gripe with spotify, if I ever come across a service that does what spotify does but offers me the ability to play my local files anywhere (regardless of what WIFI or PC im close to), I'll be done with Spotify on the SPOT! 

Marked as solution

I don't know if it's going to help anyone, but I just found the solution for me (a kind of obvious one).

Since almost every post suggests to unable the firewall, the first thing I did, was to unable the firewall of my antivirus (and I was sure I had disabled my Windows Firewall a long time ago). After six hours of searching for solutions, I finally decided to check the settings of the Windows Firewall. Apparently, I had indeed disabled the Windows Firewall for secure connections, but left it enabled for unsecure connections. I was home, though Windows thought I was using an unsecure connection. 

After disabling the Windows Firewall for unsecure connections too, the local files in all of my playlists started to sync to all of my devices.

As I said, this solution has been mentioned multiple times before. Maybe someone else is just as lazy as I was, and didn't check all firewalls.

After having this issue for months I was pleasantly surprised this resolved my issue. Thanks!
Music Junkie: If it sounds good to my ears, I'm listening to it. Let's collab on a playlist or be my friend, gamertag: tacticalcocoa

I ended up running into the same issue. Local files were syncing just fine for me but when I got a new SD card, I wanted to transfer my files to the SD card. I ended up clearing Spotify's cache and when I tried to redownload my local files, it just wouldn't download at all.

Unfortunately the firewall solution isn't working for me either. I know someone's mentioned changing the router but if local syncing already worked for me before, then what's stopping it now? The only thing that changed is the SD card. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Forgot to mention, but sometimes the grey download arrows will appear beside my local files but it never downloads anything.

@flatpigeon

SD-cards always seem to cause problems. I don't think your issue is related to your new SD-card though. First I'd suggest to check the following things:
- Are you sure all of your firewalls are disabled? (see my previous post about the Windows Firewall). 

- Is your phone connected to the same network as your desktop? (Wi-FI)

- Is Spotify opened on both your phone and your desktop?

- Search within your playlist for your local files on your dekstop. Do they appear as normal songs, or are they grayed out? If they are grayed out, you should remove the local files from your playlist and re-add them from the Local Files folder in Spotify.

If you're sure none of the above mentioned things is your issue, then I'd suggest you clear the cache of your Spotify again, delete the application, remove your SD-card and reboot your phone. 

Re-install the application and try to sync your local files again (but now to your internal storage). Let me now if your files sync normally or don't sync at all. 

If your local files sync normally, you could probably clear the cache again, delete the application, reboot your phone, insert your SD-card and re-install the application once again. I think it would resolve your issue. 

@flatpigeon wrote:

I ended up running into the same issue. Local files were syncing just fine for me but when I got a new SD card, I wanted to transfer my files to the SD card. I ended up clearing Spotify's cache and when I tried to redownload my local files, it just wouldn't download at all.

Unfortunately the firewall solution isn't working for me either. I know someone's mentioned changing the router but if local syncing already worked for me before, then what's stopping it now? The only thing that changed is the SD card. Has anyone else had this problem before?

I am having local file syn issues too.  2 updates ago it stopped working and hasn't been working since.  Spotify doesnt have a lot of bands and songs I listen too (Its getting even worse now with bands fleeing) and I need this function to work.  I also use it for podcasts.  I don't understand why such basic funcationaly is not functional.  Yes, I have tried turned of my firewalls, Re-install spotify (desktop and android), turn off anti virus, et, but I didn't have to do this before.  Please fix. 

I am having the same issue as you guys, with syncing local files to Adnroid device. I think I have tried everything - reinstalling, wiping, firewall/AV disabling, and all that for nought. Songs that are local to my PC appear grayed out on Android. I can see my android phone in devices menu in spotify on my PC.

This used to work flawlessly a couple of months ago, but now this thing will just not sync.

Any ideas?

: I can sync local files but I cant use SD card i

I have the same problem, since I have update spotify because I could not use my sd card, Now I´m able to use my sd card but now I cant sync my local files

It was working before the update anyway I have check disable antivir, full disable firewall, reinstaling spotify in computer and full clear of sd card and reinstall os spotify... nothing works

I cant sync my local files

Spotify 4.8.0.978 beta

LG G4

SD Card 200Gb

Android 6.0

more info

Spotify Music 4.6.0.772 : I can sync local files but I can´t use SD card in Android 6.0

Spotify Music 4.7.0.878: I can use my SD card in Android 6 but I can´t Sync local files

Spotify Music 4.8.0.978 beta : I can use my SD card in Android 6 but I can´t Sync local files

Having the same issue with not being able to sync local music. In the past I had no problem syncing local files to my phone. Recent updates now prevent me from do so.

I have tried everything under the sun. Firewalls, routing port forwarding, throwing each devise on DMZ temporarily, different networks and computers, and each devsie see's the other too.

Fact is, nothing is syncing with recent updates.

Phone: Amazon Fire Spotify:v4.7.0.878

Marked as solution

Found a fix.

After downgrading the current Desktop version: 1.0.23.90 to 1.0.18.60. I was successfully able to sync local files.

Version 1.0.18.60:

http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/23235/

Most likely a slightly updated version from 1.0.18 would work. But this downgrade soultion proves that something in the curent version is busted.

Another point I'd like to make, is that the downgraded version compared to the current one, was the only one to ask for firewall permissions upon first application launch.

Thanks a lot Justify

I have check your fix (downgrating to 1.0.18.60) and it works

it seems there something not working in current version

Now I have to prevent automatic updated...

Yep, that did it for me! I can't believe I have wasted so many hours because of a buggy update...

Thank you so much, Justify!

First to say I always synced my phone with my Windows machine with the same settings and network, nothing have changed from long time.

I have the same problem with Xiaomi Mi4 - Android 4.4.4/MIUI 7.1 and my desktop computer Windows 10 Pro.

I use TP-Link 1043, PC is connected via Ethernet Cable and phone over WiFi on the same router.

I had to factory reset my phone, cause I had some problems with other software. After the wipe I reinstalled everything like other times and set Spotify to download some of my playlists. So I don't know from how long this is not working.

I did everything uninstalled, deleted caches, stopped firewall and disabled antivirus. After clean install on both pc and phone still not working.

Now comes the strange solution. I run LinuxMint on my laptop so I decided to try with the laptop. I copied the local files there and it got synced 🙂

I don't know where the problem. I guess the linux version is little older, maybe Spotify developers messed up in newer version on windows or something.

The other strange thing is on "Devices Available" it show my windows pc as "<name of PC> connect" and the linux pc show as "<name of PC>" without connect.

Suggested posts