Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotiy premium and memory storage on android phone

Solved!

Spotiy premium and memory storage on android phone

Hi, im thinking of getting spotify premium but i am wondering how it works. I know how to add music using the + button on songs/albums to create my library on spotify. 

1. when you swipe the offline mode, are the songs downloaded on to your mobile phone in the spotify folder?

2. if you want to delete any of these songs that have been turned into offline mode (ie. downloaded on to the mobile device), do you just simply remove them from your library by tapping the - symbol next to the songs and swipe the offline mode button again to resync the new library?

thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Your Spotify library ( I call it the marked favourites) is the same across all devices (so yes, it is sync'd).

Add a song to your library by phone, and it will immediately show on your computer too (assuming they are connected to internet).

But music is only downloaded for offline use to a device if you slide the 'Available Offline' on the specific device.

So you can have different offline downloads on different devices. Or nothing downloaded to one (e.g Computer, so play your library online only), and all or some downloaded for offline on your phone for when you are away from home.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

To remove downloaded music, just slide back the 'Available Offline' of the songs/album you don't want to use offline. It will then un-download to give more memory space.

Your phone can stream whenever it is connected to wifi.

The offfline mode in the settings menu is to stop your phone from connecting to Spotify.

I.e if you want to use the phone or other devices for online and dont want Spotify using wifi bandwidth. This is the only use for this offline mode in the sttings menu.

But generally, leave this button switched off, unless you really do not want the device to connect to Spotify.

Marked as solution

Streaming means direct listening 'live' via wifi.

Download means saving to memory for offline use.

Marked as solution

If you enable  the device to do so (switch on the permission for data connection) then you can stream or download via mobile network.

But this is a device setting. Spotify wont be able to do it automatically.

I never enable it - too expensive for me (here in France).

Marked as solution

thank you so much for your time Andrew. very much appreciated and im very likely to go premium in the coming days.. thanks again!

13 Replies

The offline mode switch in the settings menu is not used to make music available offline. ( this is for another use, it is confusing).

To make albums, playlists download for offline listening, you open each specific album or playlist and slide the 'Available Offline' switch ( just below the big green shuffle play button).

To remove individual tracks from an album, press on the three dots symbol and then press 'X   Remove'.

Same for playlist that you created yourself, but you have the option to just delete from the playlist (but leave on your device) or delete it from the device too.

You cannot delete tracks from a playlist created by someone else.

Ok forget playlists for now, im just using the + button on songs i want and albums for offline mode

1. On the mobile app, if i click that "available offline" button below the big "shuffle play" green button, will ALL the music in "your library" be then made for offline mode?

or is it just for individual songs and albums?

2. if i want to delete the offline music to make room on my phone, is it as simple as unchecking the available offline so it goes back to online mode?

The available offline slider only triggers download of the individual album or song to the device you are using. 

But if go to 'Songs' (all songs) and make that available offline, it will download everything in your library.

So you have the option to download everything (your entire library of songs), or only specific songs and albums.

For question 2, the answer is yes.

right ok thank you.. final question..

are the libraries on my phone and pc the same? or are they individual meaning if i add a song to my phone's library on spotify i will also have to add it on my desktop?

because that is annoying and if it is individual i will most likely delete spotify.... if this is the case, is there a way i can make my computer library and phone library the exact same? (ie. they are synced)

Marked as solution

Your Spotify library ( I call it the marked favourites) is the same across all devices (so yes, it is sync'd).

Add a song to your library by phone, and it will immediately show on your computer too (assuming they are connected to internet).

But music is only downloaded for offline use to a device if you slide the 'Available Offline' on the specific device.

So you can have different offline downloads on different devices. Or nothing downloaded to one (e.g Computer, so play your library online only), and all or some downloaded for offline on your phone for when you are away from home.

ahhh so if i + any music, it will be permanently in my spotify library... but i choose what i want offline on any of the 3 devices allowed..

In this case i will only be offline mode for my phone and ill offline mode the whole library. My computer will be streaming as its obviously connected to unlimited Wi-Fi

how do you delete offline mode music on phones? do you simply check that green button again meaning the memory useage on my phone is free again? and my phone will only be able to stream unless i go back into offline mode?

sorry for being a pest, thanks again. greatly appreciated.
Marked as solution

To remove downloaded music, just slide back the 'Available Offline' of the songs/album you don't want to use offline. It will then un-download to give more memory space.

Your phone can stream whenever it is connected to wifi.

The offfline mode in the settings menu is to stop your phone from connecting to Spotify.

I.e if you want to use the phone or other devices for online and dont want Spotify using wifi bandwidth. This is the only use for this offline mode in the sttings menu.

But generally, leave this button switched off, unless you really do not want the device to connect to Spotify.

Right, i will only use that when im out as i wouldn't want to use cellular data to stream instead i will play the library offline on my phone.

the settings it says "download using cellular", it is default off, does downloading also mean streaming? or as in downloading tracks from online to offline?
Marked as solution

Streaming means direct listening 'live' via wifi.

Download means saving to memory for offline use.

but if i am outside the house and not in wifi area, will streaming be done via mobile network data?
Marked as solution

If you enable  the device to do so (switch on the permission for data connection) then you can stream or download via mobile network.

But this is a device setting. Spotify wont be able to do it automatically.

I never enable it - too expensive for me (here in France).

Marked as solution

thank you so much for your time Andrew. very much appreciated and im very likely to go premium in the coming days.. thanks again!

You're welcome. Happy listening.

Suggested posts