Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Trick Spotify in to casting at 320?

Solved!

Trick Spotify in to casting at 320?

Hi,

If I cast phone audio via Google home into a Chromecast Audio then open Spotify and play music, the Audio Quality option remains bold/active theoretically playing at 'Very High' and 320kbps. Is this correct?

I know casting from within Spotify limits to the stream to 256kbps and the audio option greys out, so the above experience made me wonder?

Thanks, Darren

Pixel 2 XL, Android 11

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @DLA_,

Thanks for your patience as I took a closer look.

Music quality settings is different between Chromecast devices and Spotify Connect devices. Chromecast devices will receive file tracks encoded with AAC with a maximum bitrate of 256 kbps, while Spotify Connect devices can receive the best quality audio encoded in OGG Vorbis at a bitrate of approx. 320 kbps.

For more info on that, you can check out this thread, which contains a reply from Spotify.

Hope this helps!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hey @DLA_, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Well, it's not possible to change audio settings when using Spotify Connect to play on another device. There's more info about audio settings in this support article

Hope this helps! 

Billy-JSpotify Star

Thanks, i'm aware of that and called it out, but if you first cast phone audio through Google home then open Spotify separately and play music you're not actually using Spotify connect.

So it seems like Spotify is playing locally as the casting is occurring at a different level/stage which must is why the 'Audio Quality' options stay active/selectable.

Marked as solution

Hey @DLA_,

Thanks for your patience as I took a closer look.

Music quality settings is different between Chromecast devices and Spotify Connect devices. Chromecast devices will receive file tracks encoded with AAC with a maximum bitrate of 256 kbps, while Spotify Connect devices can receive the best quality audio encoded in OGG Vorbis at a bitrate of approx. 320 kbps.

For more info on that, you can check out this thread, which contains a reply from Spotify.

Hope this helps!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Suggested posts