Free

Country

Australia

Device

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Operating System

Oreo, Build FXXS2

My Question or Issue

I used to be able to skip ads fine using the lock screen, my headphone buttons or my Galaxy Watch, but for a couple of months now, the only way to skip ads is to unlock my phone and go into the Spotify app and skip from there. The skip button on the lock screen is enabled, but doesn't do anything when an ad is playing, but it does skip OK when a song is playing. 

I have tried, wiping the app cache. Then I tried uninstalling, rebooting, installing. Still no luck. Turned off the Face Widget as per some posts I saw, didn't help. I waited a couple of months to see if an update was needed from Spotify or Samsung but nup, nothing has fixed it.

It's really annoying, because I get ads telling me I can skip the ads, which is true, but only from the Spotify app now. Help me fix this!

4 Replies

Spotify, can we get an explanation or a fix?

Ive got the exact same problem. I cant skip ads from the lock screen but i can skip songs, I have a Samsung Galaxy S7

I've got the same issue, would love to get an update on what's going on https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Can-t-skip-ads/m-p/4830165/highlight/true#M157484

It's most likely a new monetization tactic. Before this, I don't think I've ever listened to one of their ads, I would just restart Spotify and the ads disappear. However I've listened to more ads, as I can't skip them via the lock screen. 

You might be able to find an add on/bixby routine that can bypass this, as there is a working bypass using Apple shortcuts.

Suggested posts