Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does Spotify now force me to name new playlists?

Why does Spotify now force me to name new playlists?

I DO NOT LIKE the new Android App "feature" that forces me to name a newly created playlist. The old default naming worked just fine for most things and offered no impediments to custom naming if desired. How could the new default of naming the playlist "#XXX" be of any use to anybody? Spotify's superior user interface has always been what sets it apart from other streaming services. Don't blow it!

38 Replies

I agree, quite annoying, currently using my laptop where it still works the old way to add playlists

Came here to see if others have complained about this.  It's very annoying!

I understand there is the option to save an album, but you can't search on saved so I prefer saving albums as individual playlists.

It's annoying - one quick workaround is that you can still do this on desktop so I login on desktop to do it which is massively counterintuitive and a pain to say the least

I agree, annoying, especially when I'm driving and not getting an immediately available playlist......all that typing when I should be driving!  🙂

Es una autentica chapuza.Señores de spotify a los que nos gusta la musica nos gusta saber el titulo del disco.Ademas pagamos para tener comodidad y no tener nosotros que escribir el artista y el titulo del disco.

It really amazes me how long Spotify can ignore this bug... It's been half a year!

Seriously, if you guys think that the the new way works for anyone (but then why you don't keep it consistent on desktop?), how hard would it be to add a 3rd 'DEFAULT' button?!? Or prefill the name? This is really an embarrasing issue, and makes me want to try out alternative streaming services again as playlists of full albums is one of the features I use the most on Spotify. PLEASE FIX THIS!

It is not a bug. See this closed bug topic where the answer was "This is intended on the Android app. However, you can choose to skip the naming prompt and the playlist will be named by default i.e. 'My playlist 39'."

Current idea topic is here.

Yeah but that**bleep** because I really liked the feature where, if made a playlist from an album, it would label the playlist as the album title.  Playlist #39 is for **bleep**ing sadists!

Absolute dog **bleep**

@Joe wrote:

It is not a bug. See this closed bug topic where the answer was "This is intended on the Android app. However, you can choose to skip the naming prompt and the playlist will be named by default i.e. 'My playlist 39'."

Current idea topic is here.

Everybody knows it's not a bug, you don't have to state that. It's a terrible option that Spotify intentionally changed because they clearly don't care about the user experience. Nobody wants "my playlist 39", that's insane, and not a viable replacement.

I agree that it's a ridiculous change but I was replying to pioter84 who said "It really amazes me how long Spotify can ignore this bug".

Yep, the 'feature' is still there. Hopefully they'll return it to a 'usefull feature' because this just sucks donkey **bleep**...

There is no spoon... just spotify!

Joe - I work in the industry. Such features that go backwards are sometimes called 'broken as intended' (instead of WAI / 'working as intended') by frustrated engineers who are not allowed to change the inferior solutions, or by those who give feedback that's ignored. Maybe it's some kind of a workaround, I don't care. From my/user perspective it's a regression - a previously useful feature has been broken. It's more clearly inferior when you look at how inconsistently Spotify works between platforms. It should be treated as a bug.

I work in the industry too. I believe this is a case of CBFTFI. Can't be **bleep**ed to fix it .

I think they'd rather sit around drinking flat whites and being really pleased with themselves about how witty they think their latest update text is... "Hey Terrence, I've got a good one : "No animals were harmed in this update, except for all those pesky bugs we squished!" ."

This makes adding new playlists take so much longer, especially for any weirdly named band and album combination. This is terrible for the user, and pointless in every way.

Spotify, are you going to do something with it? I'am adding playlists constantly and without default naming this is a terrible experience. Pretty please fix it.

Nothing has changed over the last couple of months. I've tried Twitter (they didn't even understand the issue after 10 plus tweets on how to replicate it etc. and how it was before.) I tried mail, tried community mail... Nothing. Most of the time no response at all.

I've stopped listening Spotify most of the time because I mainly used it on my mobile. Adding lists is just f#ck3d up now. It's unbareble and I just don't understand why they just can't roll back to the way it was... And I'm a programmer and work in IT.. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Ugh this is driving me crazy.  It always happens when I try to add an album as a playlist which is basically how I store most of the music I listen to on a daily basis. 

I have not commented on these forums before but this issue is definitely impacting my enjoyment of the product and it seems very simple to change it back. 

Spotify, what the heck? Why do you do this to your paying customers? I know this naming function is convenient for everybody, then you removed it and never fixed it.. your feature updates are vague and uninformative, you've taken multiple features away that I enjoyed. Why can't you put back in auto naming playlists? It has been months, how many devs do you have working on quality assurance and not just new features? I'm tired of this and I know plenty of the community is too.. how could this take 6+ months to not resolve? Do you like your customers frustrated? How we had a nice stable environment for our music and then an update comes out and there's something new and cool, but usually something awry too.. plz listen to your community, your customers, and fix this!

I was standing at a show last night, listening to a support band.  I thought 'these guys are good, I wonder if they have an album out'.  Onto Spotify on my Android phone, it turns out they do indeed, first track is the track I'm listening to live.  I think 'wow, Spotify is amazing, I'll create a playlist from that to listen to later'.  And then it asks me to type in the name of the album.  Which it obviously knows, and I don't.  It doesn't do this on the desktop, and it rather spoiled the moment.  Please vote for them to fix this.

Another 2 months have passed and it's still **bleep**ed up.. Spotify isn't fixing this at all.. they're just busy scraping in the money and have no interest in fixing stuff they break themselves...

Suggested posts