Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

my spotify app on android keeps crashing after i added local files

my spotify app on android keeps crashing after i added local files

when i first add them, i can listen to the songs normally. But if i close the app and wait a couple hours, whe i try to open the app it just crashes.

15 Replies

Samsung note 8, same problem

the app works fine if i didn't download my main playlist (i have my own music from local storage), this is the only playlist that i downloaded, there around 750 songs in it

after i download the playlist, it will crash when i closed the app and restart it

after i clear data, the app is working again, but need to re-login and all the downloaded music is gone

i've tried to download the playlist again, same issue happened, i'm guessing it's related to downloading the playlist/songs

this issue happended since 8 june 2018, i noticed there's an update to the spotify app a day before

Yup. I'm seeing this as well. Started on the 8th. It was a major source of distress for me, as part of my work relies on me having a certain set of tracks available, and I've been using Spotify to play these. Luckily I found a way around it. Also worth noting that my entire phone started chain crashing after this happened, and the only way to get around it was to remove the SD card (where local tracks were stored). Thought there might be an issue with my phone or the card being corrupt (even though I couldn't find any other signs of it), so I ran a factory reset, but even now the issue with local files persists, though it isn't crashing the entire phone anymore. After trying a local playlist, the app crashed and wouldn't get past the initial black and grey loading screen until I cleared the data, uninstalled, and reinstalled. Local files are obviously gone again. Would very much appreciate seeing a quick fix for this issue.

I have the same problem

@Heartmann I created a playlist (Playlist X) with only 1 song, which is a song from local storage. Spotify work well if i didn't download the playlist.

Once i downloaded Playlist X, after opening and closing the app a few times, Spotify would crash when i open it.

Then i cleared storage data, Spotify works again. Created a playlist of 10 songs from Spotify and downloaded it. After opening and closing the app more than 10 times in the span of an hour, Spotify still works.

Then i downloaded Playlist X, after opening and closing the app a few times, Spotify crashed.

Looks like downloading songs from local storage (eventhough it's just 1 song) is the culprit.

Before this issue, the storage is SD card. For Playlist X above, it's stored in the phone's internal storage.

Samsung s6, same problem since yesterday and it's been really frustrating

Ok Guys, big News! I wrote a Message to the Spotify Support and they replied very kindly! 

They are aware of this Problem and will fix it within the next update! 

He also told me that their Technicans know that it may be caused by the Local Files.

So if you want to listen to your Music here is a small Guide they told me. I would not RE-Download Playlist with Local Files until the Update comes.

1. Go to your Settings
  2. Choose "Apps".
  3. Choose "Spotify" in the App List.
  4. For a clean Installation do this „Storage > Delete Data“. 
  5. Then you can hit "deinstall" for the Spotify App
  6. In the End you have to re-download the Spotify Music App from the Google Play Store and youre good to go 😛

Do you know when the update will release?

It just came out, you should get the update. Not everyone will simultaneously receive the update it may take longer for others. You should be good.

Oh nice, do you know about how long it'll take, or at least like the latest it'll take?

Latest update, released yesterday (11 June) has corrected the issue for me

on my Galaxy S7.

Cheers.

Do you know what specific version it is? I'm still on 8.4.57.803 armV7. 

That's the version I got yesterday, yeah.

Why? Are you still experiencing the issue?

Oh, I just checked it out, and it works, thanks!

8.4.57.803 doesn't fix the issue. It's going to work for some time but then start crashing again.

I was using 8.4.57.803 for some time but then had to restart my device. After that Spotify started crashing again. The only solution was to update via an apk to a beta version. It now works but who knows for how long.

Oh that sucks... Did you contact Spotify support? Even if they can't fix it, if they're at least aware that it's still broken, then they could fix it with the next update. 

Suggested posts