Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to stop Spotify opening automatically on mobile?

How to stop Spotify opening automatically on mobile?

So I often listen to spotify on my desktop computer at home and my laptop at work.
When I playing music on a separate device and using my phone, often times Spotify opens itself automatically and the music controls show up in my notification bar on mobile. So for example, I'll be playing a game on mobile and try to turn down the volume on the game and end up turning down the music on my PC because Spotify opened suddenly when I did not want it to.
I have to open the app, close the app, and then clear the media controls from my notification bar, and most of the time it just pops right back up immediately. The only thing I've known to work is force stopping the app.

Not enough space to continue typing question. Cool, thanks.
26 Replies

Issue still occurring. A recent change has become my "last straw" with spotify. I am actively searching for a better option for music streaming and looking to cancel my premium subscription before my next payment is due at the end of this month. Seriously considering Deezer and already downloaded it on my phone. 

Just wanted to put it out there somewhere staff can see that the lack of attention to acknowledged bugs is one of the many reasons I am leaving and that seeing some actual action on this issue probably wouldn't convince me to change my mind, but might help. Yall keep making changes to the app that DECREASE quality of life, that no one asked for or wants, while raising prices and completely ignoring making sure the app actually works before you add new features. I just can't anymore. 

I've been following your posts with interest and hope. I'm gutted that Spotify have given such poor attention to this issue and as a result, am looking elsewhere to take my family subscription also. 

I listen to Spotify web player on Microsoft edge while at work. It keeps sending me a notification to my phone that I am still connected to web player and then it will start running in the background on my phone is there a way to stop this from happening? 

this is driving me crazy after I voice type even though I wasn’t playing Spotify before I started voice typing after I finish, Spotify will automatically start itself!

This is an Android issue, not a Spotify issue.

You will need to interrupt the Media Handler by using an app like Tasker to "absorb" the automatic playback function.

Try this:

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-disable-bluetooth-automatic-playback-on-any-android-phone/

The issue I am describing does not involve Bluetooth in any way. Furthermore, it has already been acknowledged as a Spotify bug by Spotify staff.

Thanks, though. If that's an issue other folks are having hopefully that article will be helpful.

In mobile settings of Spotify app go to battery usage and toggle off "Allow foreground activity" and "Allow background activity"

Screenshot_2024-04-12-02-13-26-54_0ba066473b79d6e213a1f6f52505e2ee.jpg

Suggested posts