Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] No Ads in Podcasts for Spotify Premium users

I pay for my subscription. Every month for years now. The main reason I am a paid-for subscriber with Spotify is so I don't have to hear ads. As I have shifted my podcast listening from other providers to Spotify to bypass ads, both from the platform as well as integrated into the content.

I expect not to hear ads on Spotify. I understand there are ads woven into the actual content of the podcast itself, but for as big of a company and the amount of leverage Spotify has, I expect to not hear ads so long as I am paying for the service.

I reached out to Spotify and got this lazy, generic answer from Joy in Spotify Customer Support: “if you're hearing ads on podcasts using this Premium account. It's possible that the podcaster integrated that ads to their podcast content”. Thanks for breaking your back on that response.

I KNOW what the ads I’m hearing are. And I understand they can’t ask podcasters to export two versions, one with integrated ads and one without. What I expect from Spotify is to either implement metadata that tags the beginning and ending of ad segments and bypass them for us, Premium subscribers, or require podcasters to give metadata timecodes that Spotify can identify to bypass them AUTOMATICALLY.

Just to be clear, even if these identifiers are put into the content, I don’t want to have to pull my phone out to hit any sort of “skip ads” button. This is literally the ONLY reason users have Premium. So get rid of the ads. It’s actually very simple. And let’s not get started on how archaic it is to continually hit the “15sec forward” button to bypass the ads, first over shooting, then undershooting the duration of the integrated ad, only to have to make peace with hearing the last ten seconds of the ad. At that point it’s not servicing either party in the transaction.

It’s 2020. You are a huge company with a lot of leverage and a huge developer budget. I honestly can’t believe I’m even having to write this suggestion.

tl:dr - Spotify, I am a Premium member. You made a promise to me that if I became a Premium member, I wouldn’t hear ads. I’m hearing ads on podcasts. Integrated or not, I don’t care. You have the technology and power to fix it. So fix it. And make it automatic. It’s 2020.

Updated on 2023-04-15

Hey folks,

The Ideas section provides users with the opportunity to share their opinion on what features and app improvements can be developed, to make Spotify better. This idea however, in it's core fundamentals, requires to change how the Premium subscription works and what opportunities Spotify offers to Podcast creators.

As part of the Premium subscription, all music can be enjoyed ad-free. And while Spotify doesn’t play ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers, some podcasts may include advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship independently of the streaming platforms featuring such podcasts.

Providing a way to circumvent those is not something that our Idea submission process can accomplish.

This doesn't mean that your feedback isn't heard and that this request couldn't be fulfilled by some other means in the future. On the contrary, this is being monitored and we invite everyone to share their opinion in a constructive manner. We will then ensure to pass it on to the relevant teams.

Please do note, that we do understand the overall sentiment and if the thread stops being useful as a source to track constructive feedback, we will need to close it for further replies.

All the best!

Comments
fundinn

Make a payment tier just for music. As your implementation of podcasts are clunky, not ad free for premium and hard to mark podcasts as played (Nearly impossible for Joe Rogan episodes), I am not interested. I started my subscription years ago in order to get ad free content. I do not want to pay for content that is not ad free. The solution is clear. Make the podcasts ad free (skip the semantics as well, I don't buy it) or make me pay less. A music only tier with the same price as I payed before the big price hike. Or give me HiFi resolution for the price I pay now (Flac quality)

marcosnata

I think it's not right paying monthly spotify and having anyway ads on podcast. 

I know by a moderator that the ads are not put there by spotify but I believe that this thing has to be adjusted with some rules for the creators!

Also if the company wants to raise the prices of the monthly payment I would understand, the company wants to grow and this needs some more investiment in some important aspects etc. But we cannot pay more money and then in the middle of a fantastic podcast, while being super into it (like a psicological one for example), suddently hear a bank advertisement or other stuff.. NO THANK YOU.

Sorry for my english if It's not perfect.

I'm very annoyed by this situation, it would be sad to lose some happy and long term customers for this kind of futile stuff.

Thank you 

agfz

Very simple: I think it is disgraceful that Spotify is making me listen to an ad when I pay the premium subscription. It doesn't matter that the contract states that only music will be free of ads. It is a matter of trust, not of contracts.

With that, a possibile solution would be:

1) to add a filter when searching for a podcast to filter out episodes with ads.

2) to add a flag in the result page highlighting those episode with ads.

jimnold1964

Can I pay extra for advertisement-free podcasts (i.e., Joe Rogan Experience)? I thought joining Premium would make his podcasts advertisement free, but I am still getting ads.

sbs23111

Just stop it!

This is for podcasts. 

No other platform advertises to paying customers, you pay not to be advertised to so Spotify have it backwards.

I have been told by a Spotify customer rep that the podcasts owners are the ones responsible but there are adverts on Parcast podcasts which is owned by Spotify so that logic doesn't make sense. 

Advertise to non paying customers, that makes sense. But to advertisers to paying customers is greedy behavior. 

billywise
  • Just stop inserted ads on podcasts for those who pay for premium. Horrible. I’m fine if they produce ads inside their pod, but stop dynamically inserting them and pretending they’re for the creator. Awful. Manipulative. Degradation of the service. 
Bozchoc

I pay for premium and I still get ads in Podcasts. Don't tell me it's the Podcasters putting the ads in there because I also have Spotify in my car and there are no ads during podcasts in the car, so it can be done!

Fix it!

castrobcgn

Plan

Premium

Country

Spain

Device

Samsung S20

Operating System

Android, conectado a Android Auto.

My Question or Issue

Tengo plan Premium (comprobado y con los pagos al día) pero sin embargo me salta almenos un anuncio cuando escucho un podcast.

Gulopes

I often listen to guided meditation podcasts to help me sleep. I play the same track on repeat a few times because it takes me a while to fall asleep.

The problem is that between one track and another, random advertisements start playing at a high volume. The result is that it wakes me up and disrupts the process of falling asleep. 

I have a premium account, I shouldn't have this kind of problem with advertisements.

H8advertisments

For the love of gawd - how is it fair that I pay for so-called "premium" and am still force fed advertisements on podcasts?

It's abusive. And sneaky. I suspect Spotify leadership is hatching a plan to force feed advertisements on music playback soon too.

How much do I have to pay? Seriously? How much does Spotify have to charge its subscribers in order for those subscribers to be free from invasive advertisements?